air catcher

I'm not sure I want to give you tools that can destroy my heart.

November 29th, 2013

--Kiva's P.O.V--

"Tyler, I can't hang out tonight. I'm sorry."

My boyfriend sighed heavily on the other end of the phone. "Really, Kiva? We haven't celebrated either of our birthdays yet. Your birthday was a week ago and mine is in two days."

"Tyler, I really am sorry," I sighed, sitting down on my bed. "I promised Isaac that I would hang out with him this weekend. I didn't even think about doing something for our birthdays honestly. My birthday isn't really a big deal."

"I want it to be a big deal," Tyler replied. "You are my girlfriend and you deserve to have a fantastic birthday. I want you to have a fantastic birthday with me."

I didn't want to tell Tyler no, especially when his birthday was coming up as well, but I knew if I backed out on Isaac there would be a serious issue between us.

"We can hang out tomorrow, alright?" I said, softly. "I promise."

Tyler let out a sigh. "Okay, Kiva. I hope you have fun hanging out with Isaac."

I smiled. "Thank you, TJ. I love you."

"Believe me, I love you too."

I took the phone away from my ear, clicking the red button before sitting it on my nightstand. I knew Tyler was disappointed that we couldn't hang out and I knew him better than anyone, which meant he probably had something big planned to celebrate. However, my brother came first. He had to.

"Kiva?" 

My head darted up as Isaac poked his head into my room. "Hey, what's up?"

"Are we still going to go bowling tonight?" He asked. "Or did Tyler make you change your mind?"

I shook my head. "Isaac, stop being jealous. Tyler do not make me change my mind. You and I are still going to go bowling, but before we do, I want you to eat something first since we can't get pizza while we are there."

A grin formed on my little brother's face. "Alright." He disappeared out of my room and I hear his feet pattering against the floor.

Isaac and I didn't have the greatest life, financial wise. We hardly had any money to spare on things like bowling, but I liked reminding Isaac that he still was just a fourteen year old kid. And I did that by saving up a bunch of my tips from working at Denny's and taking him out to do something fun at least once every couple of months. I knew Isaac was grateful for those moments even though I felt bad.

I ripped out of my thoughts as I heard Isaac scream from down the hallway.

"Kiva!"

I darted off of my bed. It was a scream of pain and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

My bare feet smacked against the hardwood floor as I rounded the corner into the kitchen. My eyes widened at what I saw before me.

"Mom, what are you doing home?" I asked, slowly. I could tell she was drunk due to her body language. "You're supposed to be at work."

My mother worked the night shift at the local McDonald's and I was surprised that she still even had a job. She was a good employee when she was sober which was hardly ever.