Four

"Are you there?" Halen asked again as she stepped out of the bathtub

"Are you there?" Halen asked again as she stepped out of the bathtub. She had asked this several times while showering, but Asair was silent. Had she dismissed their only chance at saving the realms? Still, if he thought for one minute she would surrender her powers to him... There had to be another way.

Securing a towel around her chest, she grabbed another and ran it over her damp hair, being careful to avoid the stitches along her ear where Tage had sewn a neat row. She tugged the suture thread while studying the bruise along her eyebrow. What had her life become? Insanity, madness, and absurd popped into her thoughts.

More like inconvenient, Asair answered.

She clutched the towel. "You are there. You're listening to my thoughts!"

You might want to answer with thoughts, so the others don't commit you to an institution. Of course, they may have to once your mother is through with you. And yes, I can hear each and every one of your thoughts.

"That's not right, you know?" Halen lowered her voice to almost a whisper.

Listening to your thoughts or you going insane?

"Neither one, dammit!"

Her hand unwillingly swiped the steam from the mirror. Asair's dark eyes shadowed her own.

Look at you. His voice simmered through her mind. You're letting them decide your fate once more. You're better than that. Stronger. You're the one who faced me, not them.

Her arm swung to the side, finger outstretched toward the door.

Why do you let them decide what is best for you?

Her heart tripped with fear, knowing he had that much control over her body. She forced her arm down by her side. "Because what they want is best for me—for all of us. Why won't you just release Etlis? The fires will destroy everything. What would Elizabeth have wanted? What would your Guardian think of what you've done?"

He snorted and her stomach filled with the roll of laughter. I suppose she would think I was a monster.

Halen could almost see the coy smile playing on his lips.

"You don't have to be a monster."

Blue moon sirens don't belong in any realm. We're an abomination. Have you had a good look at yourself lately?

She wouldn't accept his challenge. "I make my own choices."

Really? Did you always dream of being an assassin?

She swallowed hard. He was right, and she hated herself more because of it. The Tari used her as their weapon. Without even considering the consequences, she willingly unleashed her magick at their command. Now she was left with the wreckage of guilt. How could she have given so much of herself?