04

Girl Meets Comfort

Maya went through her first three classes and all she could think about was the girl who was standing before her hours before. Maya felt as if she had an obsession with the girl. Is she crazy for daydreaming about someone she'd just met a few hours earlier? She hopes not.

But little did Maya know, that she was on Riley's mind also. Riley found Maya interesting and wanted to befriend her. She already thinks of them as friends, but she feels as if Maya isn't quite sure about it. She thinks she'll try a few gestures to let her know that their friendship has begun.

Once the bell rang, Maya headed over to fourth period, which was Mr. Matthews class. That meant she could see Riley again. She felt giddy at just the thought of her. She tried holding back her grin, but she failed. Entering the room, Maya had a grin plastered on her face, and she noticed that Riley, who said in the front, across from the doorway, had the same grin on her face. "MAYA!!!!" Riley yelled, throwing her arms up in the air and getting up from her desk. Maya giggled before yelling back, "RILEY!!!" and jumping into the brunette's arms, which thankfully, Riley was prepared for that and caught Maya.

As silly as this was, the two girls loved it. Although it was out of Maya's comfort zone, she still felt as if this was all completely natural. She wasn't really used to being held a lot before, and the times she was, she ended up getting hurt in the end. She shouldn't get attached too easily; Maya knew this, but she did anyways because she felt as if Riley was different and was sincere and genuine.

Mr. Matthews walked in and chuckled, seeing as the two already hit it off. He had a feeling they would. "Okay, girls, as much as I hate to ruin this beautiful friendship, I must have you sit down." Riley frowned a bit and gently set Maya down of the classroom floor. Maya stuck her bottom lip out, playfully pouting in a way that Riley found absolutely adorable.

As Riley took her seat, Maya realized that she wasn't assigned a seat. Mr. Matthews must've Maya's look of realization. "Maya, you can sit in the desk right next to Riley's." Maya and Riley looked and grinned at each other. Maya set her backpack underneath her desk and happily took her seat next to her new friend.

Friend.

Huh.

Maya took out a piece of paper from one of her binders and started drawing as Mr. Matthews talked about the Civil War. Maya didn't notice at first but she soon realized that what she was drawing was the girl sitting beside her. She drew Riley reading her textbook, just as she was now; following along with each word that Mr. Matthews spoke.

To Maya, the brunette looked so beautiful doing something so ordinary. She was just simply learning, but the way Riley's eyebrows furrowed and the way she bit her lip as she concentrated was beautiful to Maya.

She admired everything the girl did. From the way she spoke to the way she moved. With every touch that the two shared, sparks ignited inside Maya's body, as well as Riley's.

Maya blended Riley's hair a little more until the bell rang. Maya neatly folded up the drawing and put it inside the front pocket of her shorts. She grabbed her bag and walked out of the classroom. Next to the doorway, she met Riley who was waiting for her.

"Are you ready to go to art class?" Riley said and Maya nodded happily in response. Wherever Riley went, Maya wanted to go too. Riley was her safe place. A place where Maya instantly felt comfortable and didn't have to worry about doing anything wrong or messing up in any type of way. She felt at peace and that she could do anything in the entire world as long as she had Riley beside her. It all seemed so crazy to Maya since she met the girl just today. She's already so trusting and attached to the taller girl, she's surprised that she hadn't picked up on it yet.

Wherever they went, they seemed to link arms with one another before walking off. It was a thing they did that just happened. But with every touch and gesture, Maya still felt the same butterflies from earlier erupt in a wild dance inside of her. Her heartbeat quickened and her body tensed up, although her legs felt as if they were made of gelatin. And the smile that Riley wore whenever she looked at Maya made Maya extremely happy. It made her happy just by seeing Riley, a girl she met not too long ago, happy.

The blonde felt as if she was falling. Falling into this pit of happiness and love. She couldn't be, but, she may just be head over heels for the brown eyed girl. Maya wasn't really one to believe in love at first sight. She thought of it as some silly delusion that was only in the books, but maybe, just maybe she was wrong. She didn't quite believe in hope either, but as silly and mixed up as his may sound, she has hope for being wrong. She wants to be wrong about love at first sight. She wants to believe she has something, with someone.

Something they both feel. But who knows, maybe Riley doesn't feel the same?

Riley often found her thoughts drifting off and thinking about the blonde girl she'd met not too many hours ago. She thought about the way she smiled, the way a light blush crept onto her pale cheeks when she didn't quite know what to say, the way her blonde hair cascaded down her shoulders and into little golden rings. Riley didn't want to deny anything. Maybe she is the one. Maybe she's all Riley's been searching for. Someone who understands and someone who will listen. Maya could be that person, but Riley doesn't know for sure.

The one thing that Maya and Riley both knew was that they had secret feelings for each other, and weren't quite ready to either express or accept it.