02

Girl Meets Internet

Out of everything Maya had bought, the one thing she couldn't get enough of was her iPhone.

She had downloaded all kinds of games and such that she loved to play, but the one thing that kept her glancing at the screen was Instagram. No, not in the matter of likes or followers. She only had five people following her anyways, and she hasn't posted anything yet, so there's nothing to like. But there are a two people that she's talked to on there that make her smile a lot.

Lucas Friar and Farkle Minkus.

Lucas always teases and jokes around with Maya. They always play fight with each other about the most random things. What they're going at now is the fact that he was born in Texas, and Maya always calls him a cowboy for it. She's also made up these really weird nicknames for him, which they both find amusing.

Farkle always makes Maya feel nice and cared for. He's always there for her when she needs to talk, no matter if it's serious or not. Farkle's confessed to being in love with Maya, even though they've only started talking a week ago. It makes Maya laugh. The two are close, closer than Maya is with Lucas.

The two boys go to the same school, but Maya is starting her first day tomorrow. She's getting a tour today, actually. She doesn't know the name or if it's close by or not, but she's looking forward to it, with her new wardrobe and all.

Her mom is searching for a job at the moment, looking up different kinds of jobs, but only jobs she could qualify for, of course.

Katy is considering an open job at a diner but is hesitant to become a waitress here in New York. She knows how hard it is to get a good pay at diners. She'll have to work hard to get the money to pay for herself, Maya, and the house. She's heard it's a booming business, and since the streets of New York are always busy, that will certainly help with amounts of customers and getting the Money. But as of right now, she needs to take her daughter to school to take a look around.

Maya walked down the staircase and walked into the kitchen to see her mom at the small dining table; flipping through a phone book. Once she found the number she was looking for, she bookmarked it and closed the large book, looking up at Maya. "Ready to go, sweetheart?" Katy smiled gently at her daughter. "Yes mom, I'm ready." Maya smiled a small smile back.
"Let's go then."

---------------------------------------

After taking a tour of the school, Maya concluded that she'll like it there. Maybe not academically, but she likes how the classes are close by to her locker.

Maya hopes that it won't be too hard to make friends. Maya is the type to do what she wants whenever she wants to. She doesn't really care what others think and she just wants to have a good time, all the time. She hopes that that part of her won't come across as too much.

Maya thinks about how her first day will go as she lies on her bed. She must look silly, staring up at her ceiling with a blank look on her face. She chuckles to herself, not really knowing why. "I'm so weird." Maya thinks to herself, sitting up from her position. Maya reached over towards her nightstand and grabbed her phone and unplugged it from its charger; feeling a smile form onto her face, seeing as it's 100% charged.

The first thing she did was go straight to Instagram; to talk to Lucas and Farkle, of course.

They'd made a group chat with the name of "Dork Squad" a few days ago, the name didn't really bother her. She agrees that they all are indeed dorks.
Maya tapped on the group chat and typed, "First day at my new school tomorrow, I'm both excited and nervous, haha"

She knew it probably wouldn't be read right away, considering the time difference. Both Lucas and Farkle lived in Texas. Lucas has always lived there, but Farkle's father's company is spreading worldwide, so Farkle moves around a lot.

While waiting for the two to come online, Maya went and played a few games she's downloaded. There was this game called "Neko Atsume" that Maya enjoyed playing. She loves playing it. She has quite a few kittens in her yard. She smiled to herself, feeling accomplished. She then went to another game she found absolutely addicting; a game called "Agar.io". She was on level fifteen already!

Maya played the game for a little while before receiving a banner notification at the top of her screen.
farkleminkus has replied to your message.

Maya smiled to herself and clicked on the notification before it went away. Once the app opened and Maya opened the group chat, Maya read his reply.

farkleminkus: Hey, it'll be okay. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends and that you'll have an amazing year ahead of you! :)

This is why her and Farkle were such good friends; Farkle was always so full of positivity and held so much happiness. Maya admired that about him.

Before Maya could reply, Lucas had sent his reply also.

lucasfriar: Farkle's absolutely right, you'll make lots of friends, and you'll have a great year! Just don't forget about us though, haha!

Maya laughed to herself; she wouldn't ever dream about forgetting these to dorks. She typed her reply to the two.

mayahart: Thank you guys, so so much! And don't worry Cowboy, I won't forget about you, haha :-)

The three talked for hours, with little pauses for dinner and such in between, of course. They talked up until everyone had to go to sleep.

Maya turned off her lights and hopped into her bed, pulling up her covers and closed her eyes; falling into a peaceful sleep.