Chapter 14: Seriously?

• Dedicated to Sydney

*Rory's P.O.V.*

I left the supermarket, unlocking my car. I shoved the grocery bags into the back, looking up front. Sydney was quiet. I shut the trunk. She hunched over my phone when I sat in the driver's seat. 

"Uh, what are you doing?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"I-um. Look." She passed me my phone. 

"You know you're a dickhead sometimes, texting my frie-OH."

Niall: go out with me. this saturday.

What?

Rory: Is this some kind of joke? Because if it is, it isn't funny.

Niall: no? of course not. i'll pick you up at your place around 7. what's your address? (:

Niall Horan wanted to go out with me? Me? Rory Alice Harper, anomic high school soccer player that Niall James Horan, global phenomenon singer of a boy band wanted to go out with?

I don't know why, but I started thinking of my Dad. Which, in turn, began the crying. Right there, in the middle of the god damn parking lot, with Sydney looking at me like I was crazy but trying to comfort me at the same time. I thought about my Dad how he would think Niall was okay. And he was a gentlemen. And he was nice, and good-looking, and cared about people probably more than he should.

And I knew my Dad would want me to be happy.

So, the crying stopped and I gave Niall my address, taking a cigarette out of my purse and lighting it. Sydney didn't say anything, though she wasn't fond of whenever I smoked around her. She sat, observing me from her side of the car, her arm rubbing circles on my back, her hand holding onto her cell phone. 

Sydney offered to drive home for me, so I said Okay and she said She would stay at my house tonight and I told her Okay again.

And when we got to my house Sydney made me tea and we jammed out to a CD she made me entitled: Boys With Pretty Voices and after we sang loudly in our gravely voices we watched old disney movies from the 90's because I still have a VHS instead of DVD player and there's a large bookcase full of them. Sydney also noticed that I had added a new One Direction poster to my shrine wall full of them. Maybe there was around eighty, and I have no idea how she noticed that.

She told me not to worry about what my Dad thought, and it was kind of harsh, and kind of hurt, but she meant well and was right, like she always is. 

So, I went to bed that night thinking about how lucky I was to have my family and have Sydney and not be poor and living with another family, of cockroaches. And I was lucky that a boy had noticed me, let alone Niall god damn Horan, global phenomenon singer of a boy band.

******************

On Thursday night Niall texted me saying I should bring a coat and a bathing suit, but wouldn't tell me anything more. And so Sydney had gone home (after staying at my house practically this past week) on Friday morning. And she didn't go to school because her concert was that night and she wanted to get there early to wait in line and possibly meet the men of Fall Out Boy.

And all of Friday, I didn't stop thinking about Niall. Once I was so distraced in the hallway between the third and fourth passing period that I bumped into a freshman. She was wearing a One Direction t-shirt that looked like it was from 2011, two years ago, and I laughed. She gave me a dirty look, told me to Fuck off and that I bet you listen to Celine Dion and Christian Gospel, you leper, and I walked away, still laughing. (In case you don't know a leper is someone who everyone avoids like they have some kind of disease they spread if you breathed the same air, which doesn't make sense because obviously you're breathing the same air, as is everyone else around the entire fucking world, but they were popular, fake barbies who cared about nothing but themselves and their social status so they were irrelevant in that sense anyway). 

So on Saturday night, after the previous evening of watching old episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? and eating chocolate ice cream, I was essentially ready to go. And my brain kept repeating: Niall. Niall. Niall Horan. Niall James Horan. Which made me feel crazy, because any normal person wouldn't be that obsessive about it, but I liked the way it sounded in my brain.

Niall Horan.

At 7:34 o'clock the doorbell's loud noise reverberated through the house. I knew it was Niall, and I was sure he, and my mother and brother, could hear the increase of my heart beat. And I heard the front door open, and Niall obviously greeting my mother. For a second I didn't hear much, then I heard a loud, girly shriek.

"Rory!" She screamed, her loud footsteps thundering up the stairs, "Rory!!"

She burst open my door, not caring to knock. "Rory!"

"Yes?" I looked up from my engineering homework I had started on because I needed something to calm me down.

"NI!... Niall-Niall....Horan...is downstairs."

"I know, are you ok?" I asked, getting up off the bed.

"How did you- I thought going to concert with him was a joke with you and your father, it really happened?" She was leaning against my dresser, occasionally looking at my closet, for I assumed the lifesize cutout of the one and only, Mr. Niall Horan. If he ever found out I would literally die of embarrassment. My gravestone would read 'Mortified from being a creepy fan.'

"Oh my god, mom, he's still downstairs!" I yell as I grab my purse, hopping down the stairs while trying to slip my chukkas on. I stumbled into the kitchen, looking like a complete fool. I could see the mirror that was in the foyer displaying my disheveled image. My blonde hair was falling all over my face, my shirt half tucked into my jeans, half tucked out, my cheeks flushed red. 

Niall was talking to my brother Adam, but stopped once I entered the kitchen. Seeing Niall made my cheeks flush redder, as if the was possible, but is with my light complexion. I tucked my hair behind my ears, taking the half of my shirt that was in my jeans out. 

"Hey," Niall said, walking towards me. 

"Hi."

"Shall we?" He asked, holding out his arm for me. I smiled, looping mine with his. He waved to my brother and mother, who was still shocked, and lead my towards his car.

"Te ves hermosa. Me gusta verlos a todos flustered. Como una ola de inocencia. No sé," he said as we walked outside the door.

"I don't know what that means, but I'm sure it was really nice, so thank you," I said, smiling. Niall opened up the passenger door for me, saying M'lady in a posh accent. Like his accent wasn't already incredibly sexy. I thanked him as he shut the door. It was an Escalade, and I wasn't surprised. I just felt out of place, in this big, expensive vehicle. Like I'm some kind of CEO's daughter and Niall is my chauffeur (which I wouldn't mind by the way). 

"Where are we going?" I tried to contain the excitement in my voice but Niall must have noticed because he laughed, and told me that It's a surprise, and You'll see when you get there. And so he drove.

[A/N idk how I fell about writing from Rory's pov, it's weird. Probably won't do it again.]