Chapter 5: Don't

Rory felt like her head was seventy feet underwater; it was throbbing and she tried to make it go away but it just wouldn't. She couldn't hear anything besides the loud throbbing of her heart beat she could hear in her head. Rory brought her hands to her temples, squeezing her eyes shut tighter.

Once she finally opened her eyes she flinched; there were paramedics running around in the room, and Sydney was talking on the phone with someone on the bed next to the one she was laying on.

But as Rory looked around she didn't see white walls and fluorescent lighting, instead it was bland dingy yellow wallpaper and two lamps in each corner of the room; and she realized she had only moved a few feet since what she thought was just taking a nap.

After Rory had passed out Sydney frantically dialed 911 after many numerous attempts to open the door and converse with her best friend she had realized Rory had had another breakdown. It always worried Sydney when this happened, of course it did, and all Sydney wanted to know was why this happened. Why did she have these?

"What's going on?" Rory tried asking Sydney, but Sydney just held up a finger signaling her to wait. A paramedic quickly rushed over to her, asking if she was alright, if her head hurt. Rory nodded, pointing to her head.

Once Rory assessed the situation she knew exactly what had happened; she held her head in her hands, pulling her knees close to her chest. Sydney noticed her do that so she quickly finished her phone conversation and went over to console her best friend.

"How long was it this time?" Rory asked.

"A little over half an hour, R," I'm sorry, Sydney replied, rubbing circles onto her back. She leaned her head on top of Rory's. 

After a while and a few more times of asking if she was ok, and a few pain pills for her head later all the paramedics had left and Sydney was still consoling Rory. By then Rory had been crying because whatever was wrong with her wasn't her fault and she didn't understand what and why this was happening to her. Sydney suggested they get some sleep for the drive home tomorrow but Rory knows she'll probably have a nightmare so they decide to stay up watching YouTube videos on Rory's laptop. 

"Who were you talking to on the phone?" Rory asks, suddenly pausing the vlogbrother's video. 

Sydney dropped her head, saying, "Your mom. She's really worried about you, you know. She wanted to drive up here but I told her you would be just fine. I still don't think she believes me. I promised to get you back in one piece, maybe two."

Rory's laughs because Sydney is really funny and the depressing mood really needed to be lifted. 

"By the way," Sydney says. "You might want to check your phone."

Rory looks up at her, "Why? To see 100 texts from my mom?" Sydney shakes her head, smiling a bit and hands her her phone.

She clicked the home button and on the screen was a bunch of texts from someone named: The Cute One <3. Rory's brow furrowed; she didn't know who this was or when she'd put the contact in her phone.

As she opened the messages she was even more confused because clearly Sydney had been conversing with this person, and oh. Oh.

Rory slowly put her phone down, smacking Sydney on the shoulder. Sydney jumped up. "What'd you do that for!"

"You told Niall that I had a panic attack?! Dude!" Rory had back up against the headboard of the bed, upset about what her friend -no, her best friend- did. Sydney had told Niall fucking Horan that basically she was crazy.

"I-I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. He sounded worried about you, he wanted to know why you weren't texting him back," Sydney admits. 

"Great. Just fucking perfect. Now he's going to think that I'm a freaking lunatic and never speak to me again. Thank you, Sydney." Rory turns her body around, resting her head on a pillow. Sydney tries to put a hand on her shoulder but Rory shoves it away. "Don't." 

Another vibration buzzes from her phone and she checks the screen.

The Cute One <3: How is she?

Rory sighs. She types back I'm fine. And when Niall texts her he doesn't believe her she throws her phone across the room, hopefully breaking it so Niall or her Mom or anyone can text her no longer. The noise makes Sydney jump from her sleeping position and Rory turns out the light. She isn't excited about the drive tomorrow, isn't excited about anything at the moment because Sydney had to tell Niall Horan that she's crazy; messed up. 

It's not like Sydney has that many people to tell however, it just bothers her. Rory's family knows, and have become aware of how much more frequent these attacks are. Her mother took her to a doctor, but they said they had no clue what triggered it, or why she experienced it at all. It wasn't any OCD phobia. 

Rory pushed away her darkening thoughts as she fell asleep, a small part of her hoping to not wake up.