Alteration Chapter 12

Alteration

Chapter 12

Amelie

The few seconds she stood outside his door waiting for him to open felt prolonged. Her heart picked up speed as she saw the door slowly open to reveal his perfect face.

With a frown he said casually “Hey” to which she responded the same.

“What are you doing here?” was his answer which didn’t sound very polite but he couldn’t think of any other way to ask it and Amelie didn’t have an answer to it.

“I just…” the silence that followed made her feel very insecure and foolish. “I came to talk to you” she spat out as soon as the thought it, which she didn’t regret saying.

“Okay… Umm come on in” he said and got out of the way to let her inside.

She couldn’t help but look at what he was wearing; a simple white V-neck and some pajama pants. If she had waked him up she would be extremely embarrassed.

“Are you ok?” he asked and she saw actual concern on his face.

She half-smiled before answering “Why? I must look like a mess right now” and looked down to titter.

“Not really, it just seems like you’re distracted” he said and flashed a perfect smile that made her feel overpowered by a magical feeling.

“I’m just…” she sat down on one of his kitchen chairs and then a gigantic smile fell on her face as she got a smart but funny idea. “I need you to rescue me from my boring life”

He giggled naturally and crossed his arms.

“You came to the right person” he half-smiled with this sentence.

“You should plan something fun for us to do tomorrow”

“Plan? Tomorrow?” he rolled his eyes “these things are supposed to be spontaneous” he said raising his eyebrows.

“Well not today, I have a book to finish” she lied, but knew he was going to believe her.

“You always let those things ruin your life” he said with a little snigger.

She smiled remembering a few years ago she would cry every time she finished a book.

“Yeah you’re right” she answered with a little giggle. “Well I’ll leave, I promised Erin to go to the grocery store” she stood up from the chair feeling moronic because she stayed sitting for less than a minute.

“Nice visit of yours” he said frowning and his deep voice made her shiver but she hid it well.

“I know right” she said and bit her lip. She looked at him tentatively with a burning desire to kiss his lips and not stop for hours, but she had to control herself. “Well see you tomorrow!” she said in a cheerful tone to stop herself from doing something stupid, and on a nervous impulse she kissed his cheek and walked out of his apartment. As she quickly walked into her car, before getting in she took a quick glance back and she noticed he was still at the doorstep with his arms crossed and a small smile on his lips. He waved wiggling his fingers and she just got quickly into the car before smiling like an idiot as she drove to the market.

Once at home she buried her head a book, since Erin had left and she was alone she had to distract herself with something or she would lose her mind. At least the relief of knowing that in less than 24 hours she would see him again and they would spend a lot of time together, it seemed to her, made her be able to read again and focus a little.

Her mind was lost in a world full of fantasies which made reality go away. When she had read about half of the book Erin came through the door.

“Oh, hey there!” she said when she saw Amelie.