Alteration Chapter 11

Alteration

Chapter 11

Amelie

Every corner of Amelie’s mind was talking about Ian. She had been lying on her bed for like two hours, every twenty minutes or so she would fall into a light sleep but open her eyes again still thinking about him. It was as if she had recorded on her mind the image of Ian kissing her and it was playing on repeat now, creating on her brain a prolonged kiss to eternity. She turned her body to the left, towards her bedroom door trying to gaze in the darkness to Erin’s room, but she couldn’t. She felt Ian’s words ring on her ear ‘Because you like someone else’ she slowly turned to her right, stupidly trying to make sure Ian wasn’t on her bed beside her, but didn’t feel dumb after doing it, she was actually relieved.

She moved to lie on her bed facing down, thinking it might help her fall asleep, but that position was unnatural to her so it was useless. She turned back to stare on the ceiling with Ian’s face displaying across the darkness of the room. She knew her mind was responsible for this image, but still wished it was real. Finally realizing she wasn’t falling asleep any time soon, she reached to her bed stand to take her phone. She was reading “Du Barry”, a biography book she had really liked, and as she opened it she couldn’t help but think it was pointless to read it. For the past weeks she had reflected on how beautiful and brilliantly it was written, but now she didn’t even bother to start reading. It was quite sad how something she loved so much now seemed worthless because her mind was filled with that boy that had suddenly taken all of her focus and interest.

The thought of looking at his pictures on Facebook rushed through her mind and she thought it carefully, as if it was something dangerous, even though it was quite pathetic. Not even she knew what she was afraid of but after some minutes of thinking it, she started. There weren’t a lot of pictures, but she was so consumed by his physical appearance that she would stare at each picture for a long time and actually be interested. A sudden urge to be near him started to fill all of her body. She sat up quickly as if she needed to go to him right away. After some pointless thinking she put on her shoes, a hoodie and walked towards her apartment door. Since all these was done on an impulse she didn’t even think of being quiet, so Erin woke up and walked sleepily towards the door, with her eyes half-open and a disturbed face.

“What’s going on?” she muttered annoyed and turned on the lights but her eyes opened a little as she saw Amelie all changed, not barefoot or on her slippers.

Amelie had the same sleepy face and the light was bothering her, so she couldn’t think clearly of a good excuse.

“Where are you going?” Erin said half-closing her eyes again.

“I’ve been sleepwalking” Amelie tried the best answer she could think of.

Erin believed her because it wouldn’t be the first time that happened, plus she was very sleepy so she just said “Okay try to stay in your bed this time” and turned around to walk to her bedroom again.

Amelie realized how weird it would be to just wait until Erin fell asleep and actually go out looking for him, so she turned off the lights and walked to her bed, even though her heart wanted to find him in a very desperate way.

“Why is this happening to me?” she said still not realizing how odd and blind her actions had been, but wishing this would all go away anyways, the first sane thought she’d had that night.

She tucked herself in putting her phone away and closed her eyes tightly trying to push the images away so she could get her sleep. Wholly concentrating on keeping her eyes completely shut, her consciousness flew away for a while, but not relaxing her at all.