Alteration Chapter 9

• Dedicated to Lia Lopez

Alteration

Chapter 9

Amelie

For an instance she continued the kiss but then overwhelming feelings started to make her heart race. Jerking away from the kiss, guilt felt like a lump in her throat. It seemed like a thousand different words were being thrown at her by her mind, none of them making sense but they were telling her that she had done something wrong. Her behavior had been wrong and Dan kissing her was all her fault; that’s what they said.

“D-Dan I- I didn’t mean to” she started stuttering these incoherent argument going on inside her head.

But this agonizing sensation lasted only a couple of seconds before noticed how he was the one who kissed her for no reason, so she sat back and finally noticed that he was half smiling. It was so painfully hard to figure out the cause of his satisfaction-like expression.

“Dan” she pronounced carefully “I hope I didn’t give you the wrong impression here” were still the words of guilt she felt a jiffy ago. The actual seconds he continued smiling seemed like long minutes to Amelie so she pressed her lips together quickly before asking flatly “Why did you kiss me?” with a cautious look on her eyes.

He seemed in no hurry to clarify things for her. “To be clear on what is going on here” he answered is if he was talking about something very usual.

“I am nothing but clear right now” she pronounced still watchful.

“Just don’t get mad alright?” he said clearly trying to hold back his laughter.

More like violent” she thought feeling very desperate.

“I should leave” she said standing off the couch and looking away from him for an instant before walking towards the door. She stopped right at the opening, not actually feeling but knowing he was staring at her back. She couldn’t walk out. This wasn’t something Amelie Jones would do; even though it seemed what was right or normal this was against her nature, she was the one girl who would actually stay to hear him out. Slowly turning around she closed the door behind her and started walking towards the couch again.

“I won’t get mad” she said after letting out a breath.

“Well I don’t even know you that well and you just come to my apartment so my first thought is something must really be wrong with you” he started and at the last part of Amelie frowned but he just side-smiled. “Thought you liked me or something” he said surprising her by the way he said it, because she would expect him to blush or look away as he said that sentence, but he continued speaking in a normal tone, which made her realize how special this guy was, full of surprises.

“But I had fun today with you just watching TV like if we were long-time friends” he said and read in her face how she could relate to the words he was saying, like she had heard them before in her own mind. “So I was almost sure you don’t like me but I had to find out somehow, you know?”

“And what if I did liked you?” she asked with an annoyed look “You would’ve just said ‘Sorry I don’t like you’ even after kissing me?” she said raising her voice.

He shook his head slightly “We both know you don’t” he said.

Trying to hide her smile she pressed her lips together, amazed by how much she had learned about him in just a few hours.

“How can you read through me so easily, and I haven’t been able to predict a single thing about you?” she said cocking her head to one side, actually feeling confused.

“I knew you wouldn’t walk out the door” he said and started playing with his fingers.

“The awkwardness wouldn’t have lasted long anyways would it?” she asked looking down too.