23: Keep Your Friends Close And Your Enemies Closer

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure?" Frank asked hurriedly, painfully aware of the audible beating of wings that preluded the demons arrival which were growing louder by the second. "Bob and Brendon can deal with this, and I don't want you alone right now." Frank knew that he could ask Billie Joe or anyone else really to escort Gerard away, but he had learned from his past mistakes, so he wasn't going to assume that Gerard would be safe unless he had visual confirmation of that fact, that had ended in disaster last time, and Frank wouldn't allow himself to repeat his previous actions.

Gerard was barely given the chance to nod before the demons touched down on the sandy beach below them, the muted thud of hundreds of feet sounding out much too harshly in the quiet air. Frank stiffened when Lucifer swooped out of the sky, waiting until his troops were situated before placing himself at the front, his pitch black wings creating strong currents of wind that Frank could feel buffering him even with the space separating them.

Appearance wise, Lucifer looked almost identical to Frank's memories of him; his face was angled and stern, but otherwise unremarkable, and if he hadn't been the King of Hell, Frank wouldn't have remembered his features if they had passed each other on the street. His pinions more than made up for that though, they were massive in size, and they seemed to cast a dark pallor over what was in all reality a decently sunny day. He was wearing the same armor that he had donned when Frank fought him all those years ago, but it was perfectly polished now, free of any scuffs and scratches that it had once contained.

"Don't look so happy to see me," Lucifer called out when no one immediately moved, a sinister grin pulling at his lips as he took a few steps forward. Gerard whimpered fearfully at the sound of his voice, his nails digging into Frank's arm which he had latched himself onto. His head was still buried in Frank's shoulder, blocking his view of what was happening before them.

"Stop right there," Brendon commanded sternly, moving up a few paces so Lucifer would know who was addressing him. "You are not welcome at any gathering of Heaven's hosts, so leave now and we will not pursue you."

"Is that any way to greet an old friend?" Lucifer scoffed playfully, his eyes dancing across the assembled angels and demons curiously. "I just wanted to stop in and see how you were doing with the Leviathan problem. It's gotten everyone quite worked up hasn't it?"

"I will not ask you again," Brendon seethed, raising his arm slowly in a gesture that would signal everyone to attack once he let it fall.

"Calm yourself angel, I'm not here to exact my revenge this time, why would I after so many years of peace?"

"Because you're a war loving bastard that enjoys making people as miserable as possible," Bob shouted out, leaving Frank's side so he could join Brendon at the edge of the small cliff.

"Oh hello Bob, long time no see," Lucifer greeted him like they were at a family reunion instead of a tense confrontation. "I have to say, I thought you would have come running back to Hell with your tail between your legs ages ago, but you seem to be doing quite well for yourself...oh - Frank's here too, I wasn't sure if you would sign back up for this life, but I should have known you couldn't stay away."

"Because I actually have my priorities in order and I know how to put the fate of the world before my own needs," Frank retorted back instead of keeping his mouth shut like he had intended to, but it was so fucking hard to stay calm under the assault of Lucifer's endless taunts. Frank could sense Gerard stiffening in place fearfully, but besides crowding slightly closer to Frank's back, Gerard gave no sign that he wanted to leave just yet.

"And it appears that you have found a way to be reunited with your lover after all," Lucifer smirked coldly, and it took all the self-control Frank possessed not to punch the smug expression off of his face, but he managed to keep his feet grounded, clutching tightly to Gerard's hand to remind him that he had to think of his husband as well, no matter how angry he was.