Pilot

21st of February

5:53

Dennis

Amarachi seriously needs to get some manners.

It's a Saturday morning and basically, I'm not supposed to be up till like 10 a.m. I deserve a rewarding rest after every hectic week of school, not that there was school this week, anyway. Speaking of school, I'm midway through Year Five. Now, back to my annoying sister....

"Wake up! Wake up, Dennis!"

I wish she could just die now. Still, I have to wake up to see what she wants this early. Still stirring in bed, I ask, "What's it, Amarachi?"

"Guess!"

You've got to be kidding me.

"Come on, it's too early for guessing games." I say, still weighed down by sleep.

"It's my birthday, Dennis. I'm 12!" She says with glee and excitement.

And I'm just lying down here in shock.

For the third year running, my sister has woken me up early in the morning to remind me of her birthday. So much for being a good big brother.

"Gee, Amarachi. Happy...happy birthday to you. You're now a step further in puberty and a step closer to teenhood." This is me taking every word slowly. And urghh! Amarachi just had to turn on the lights! I've been practically blinded here.

She doesn't look too happy.

"You forgot again, didn't you, Dennis?" Now she's taking me on a serious guilt trip. I know she's family and I have to keep track of birthdays and anniversaries and stuff, but I'm human. I can forget.

But hey, this is the third year running!

I sit up in my bed, bracing up to give an explanation.....apology, rather.

"I'm really sorry about this, Amarachi. Look, just because I keep forgetting your birthday doesn't mean I don't value you as a sister. You have to...."

She's already dashing downstairs, from where she came. Freaking baby of the house; she'll tell my parents and they'll take me on another guilt trip. It's part of life, no? I should get ready for today's party.

****
So I've brushed, flossed, showered and changed. The clothes are casual; the party won't begin for the next five hours: Noon. I'm looking forward to Isaac's arrival. You see, Isaac is one of my school friends who has been bragging about how he's going to trash me on FIFA and I'm seriously not taking things lightly. And I'm also looking forward to Kofo's arrival because...should I be divulging this now?

"Dennis Ikechukwu Asiegbu!"

It's my mom calling from downstairs. One thing needs to be understood: If an African mum calls you by your full name, it can only mean trouble. In this case, Amarachi has evidently snitched on me. I should get downstairs as soon as possible. I descend the stairs to meet a smirking Amarachi and my straight-faced mother.

Amarachi, you're such an immature being.

"Good morning ma."

"I don't need your greeting. You have disappointed me." She replies sharply.

Oh really. When I become a millionaire...billionaire tomorrow, I wonder if you're going to say those words.

She continues, "For the past three years, you've been forgetting your sister's birthday. Is that fair? How would you feel if she ever forgot yours? Huh? Tell me, young man."

Truth be told, I wouldn't care less. But rather, I say, "I would feel very bad, mum." It's in my best interest to play along.

"That's exactly how she feels. Now, apologize to her and promise her that you'll never, ever, and I mean ever forget her birthday again. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, mum."

"Very good. Now, proceed." She says, motionining to Amarachi. I move closer to my diminutive, immature pre-teen of a sister, before spilling out the words.

They aren't of much substance to me, trust me.

"I'm sorry, Amarachi. I'll never forget your birthday again, I promise. It now holds a permanent place in my memory."  I'm barely done but she basically stretches up to hug me.

Now, maybe those words had a little substance in them.

Just as she releases me now, my nostrils become invaded by the hordes of an indescribable, inexplicable aroma. It turns out my mum is working on a casserole. Sign of good things to come today, I must say.

In no time, I'm sitting on the couch of my living room, flipping through random cable channels until I finally arrive at the music channels. Blank Space. Evidently, they haven't gotten over Taylor Swift's 'stellar' 2014. It irks me the more that the girls in my school can't seem to stop worshipping her, Adunni and Najite in particular. They're going to be here for my sister's birthday party, though. Since it's my house, they are going to have to play by my rules.

My gastric frequency just clashed with my mental frequency: Hunger. A man has to fend for himself, doesn't he? Jerking up, I arrive at the dining table. As I reach for the beverage tin, my mum yells at me from the kitchen.

"Dennis! Take your hand off the Milo there! Can't you exercise patience? Has Amarachi eaten? Has your father eaten? Do you...."

She's still talking, but I've plugged my ears with both index fingers. My mum is an expert when it comes to spoiling plans and killing vibes. And moreover, do people really have to do things together just because they're in a family? Come on!

Having accepted defeat, I walk back up to my room and I reach for my phone. On opening my WhatsApp Messenger, I come across a message that reminds me of an obligation I have to fulfil. Believe me when I say it is Mission Impossible.

I got into a double dare with Ehis, another friend of mine. He fulfilled a dare I considered impossible for him to fulfil, leaving me with no choice but to fulfil mine. Trust me, this is one of the hardest things I will do in the world. And I have until 6 in the evening to accomplish it. If I fail, I'll have to part with two thousand Naira. And please, I'm not ready to do that. Call it whatever you want; Igbo man mentality. Two thousand Naira is big money to me.

As I put my phone down, my sister runs in. She informs me of breakfast being ready before dashing back. I don't blame her, really. After 12, she's no longer a child. And if there's anything to be treasured so dearly in this world, it's your childhood. I'm way past that stage...err, not that far. I'm just 14+.

In a jiffy, I'm back downstairs. I walk to my chair; a hot cup of beverage flanked by a mountain of toast awaiting me. Oh yes, I'm exaggerating. Still, I doubt if my stomach can hold half.

"Dennis, that's for you and me." Amarachi blurts out, as though she were reading my mind. Apparently, she read my greedy, expectant facial expression.

My dad is having his typical Saturday breakfast of coffee, toast and a bunch of newspapers to keep his eyes busy. Elections have been trending for months now and my dad can't seem to stop talking about it. Things get worse whenever his friends come around to discuss it with him. Thanks to them, I can't enjoy weekend football matches in peace anymore. I wish I could just wipe them out of existence for the time being. This football season is feisty and I need to enjoy it without disturbances or distractions.

"Amarachi my daughter, happy birthday once again." He booms out. Typical middle-aged Igbo man.

"Thank you daddy!" The birthday girl replies.

"How about we go to ICM after service tomorrow, just to have fun as a family? Family bonding?"

Family bonding.

"I'd love it! I miss ICM!"

Things are about to get worse for me.

My intention was to enjoy my mid-term break in the peace and solitude of my house before returning to prison...school, I mean. In fact, why am I apologising? Isn't that the truth?

Speaking of going out, I already watched Insurgent; it didn't quite live up to the hype, talking from a personal point of view. And basically, this year has a lot of movies to offer. I await the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron in particular. Maybe I'll get to watch it with 'her'. It all depends on how everything turns out after today's party.