Gift | Guren

MODERN AU

🎶 Our appointment was two hours ago 🎶

A girl stood in the corner of the pavement, one hand placed over the other, looking up at the giant street clock from time to time.

Silence.

People hurried around her, glancing back angrily at the person who had been standing in their way.

If they had looked closely, they would've seen a small smile on her face and tears in her eyes as she glanced at the clock for the final time that evening.

🎶And I'm standing here alone, I guess that's enough of an answer🎶

Without a word, she slowly turned and started walking back to where she had come from, knowing that he wasn't coming.

Even as she walked back, everything and everyone seemed to mock her naïveté.

Can't you see he's already gone, that he's just using you now? Just how gullible are you, you fool?

In response, (name) just smiled bitterly and walked on. Once she reached the apartment she shared with him, she shoved the key into the lock and stepped in.

As expected, it was empty.

Beep.

Her phone chimed, indicating a text. She read it. It was the usual I'll be late, don't wait up for me, sorry I couldn't show up, too much work.

Huh. He must be out of excuses if he was saying he had work on a Sunday.

🎶In your mind, I bet I must be a clown🎶

(name) sighed and decided to go to the supermarket and buy some groceries; she didn't want to order a takeout once again.

Once she was in the store, (name) walked through the aisles, trying to decide what to buy. Somewhere between aisles 1 and 2, she heard a giggle and a laugh.

The laugh was rather familiar. (name) took a deep breath and then carefully peeped into the passage so that she wouldn't be seen.

Even if she knew what she'd see.

"Really, Mahiru, we can't keep buying chocolate cake every day, you know."

It was Guren with a girl (probably Mahiru) who had long ashy hair and one arm hooked around his.

They really complimented each other, was what (name) was thinking.

Too bad that it wasn't Mahiru who was Guren's girlfriend; instead, it was (name), who was much, much plainer in comparison.

She almost wished she didn't know Guren, wasn't dating him, because surely then her heart wouldn't feel like a knife was being twisted in it, right?

(name) smiled, kept smiling, didn't stop even when she literally ran all the way back to the house, even when tears constantly ran down her face, even when they didn't stop until she fell asleep.

🎶I turn, I turn, I grew tired of turning, I ran, I ran, until I was out of breath🎶

The next day, Guren was surprisingly home, and he took (name) out for lunch too. He bought her red roses, and she smiled, a hollow one, much like you'd see painted on a doll.