“Your heard me. I said hope,” Mike said, his voice firm. “The city has some advantages that Spring Valley and other rural areas don’t have.”

“Like what?” Mike could barely hear Ricky’s voice from the back seat.

“Like police,” Mike replied. “Spring Valley had no police force to protect them. There are plenty in the city. There are also fire fighters, ambulance workers and doctors. That should make a big difference.”

Kyle sighed. “I hope you are right, Dad, but what if you aren’t?”

“Losing hope isn’t the answer, Kyle,” Mike replied. “Does it help to imagine the worst? I don’t think so.” Mike shook his head. “We are going to go home and find our families. I pray to God that they are safe. That is all I can do. I know I’m going to do everything I can to find them and keep you boys safe.”

The boys all seemed to settle down into their own thoughts then and Mike drove on for several miles in silence. The truck’s clock showed 1:07 PM. Amazing how much had happened in such a short time.

The silence was finally broken again by Kyle. “Dad?”

“Yes, Kyle?”

“I’m sorry.”

Mike looked at the boy. “Sorry? Sorry for what?”

“I’m sorry I was freaking out. I should be calm like you are. Freaking out won’t help anything. We need to think about how we can help people and the situation. Find Mom and Diana.”

Mike felt a swell of pride for the boy. The words coming out of his mouth sounded so mature. Even after everything that had happened, he was still trying to stay focused. “Kyle, trust me, I may look calm, but I am afraid, just like you. There is nothing wrong with that. I would be worried if you weren’t freaking out. This is the worst thing I’ve ever seen and you all are doing an amazing job of handling it.”

“So, what are we going to do?” Kyle asked.

Mike shook his head. “We keep moving toward the city until we either make it or are stopped.” He waved his hand at the general countryside, which currently had a group of undead shuffling  along in a field. “We can’t plan for what we’re going to find because we don’t know what we will find. I don’t know about you, but I sure didn’t expect this when I climbed out of my sleeping bag this morning.”

“You’re right, Dad,” Kyle said. He looked thoughtful for a moment. “Dad, how are we set for supplies?”

“Supplies?”

“Yeah. You know food and water? We only really planned for the two days of camp and nothing beyond. Do we have enough supplies to keep going if the next town and maybe even the city is overrun?”

Mike looked shocked. “I…I don’t know, Kyle. He looked up into the rear view mirror at the boys in the back. Did any of you guys see how much we have left?”

Todd shook his head. “I saw some apple cider packages, hot chocolate powder and a couple cans of Irish stew, but that’s all I know.”

Mike rubbed his eyes. “We could be in trouble. I’m pretty sure we used most of the potable water and Steve probably poured out what was left so we wouldn’t have to carry it home.” He held up a juice box from his lunch. “If you guys have any of these left, you might want to save them. I don’t know where we will get out next drinks from.”

Mike stepped down on the accelerator and the truck surged closer to Steve’s vehicle. He pulled up beside the other vehicle and motioned to Steve to put down his window.

Steve and Kyle rolled down their windows at almost the same time.

“What’s up?” Steve hollered over the road noise.

“We might have a problem,” Mike yelled back. “We need to talk.”

“Here?” Steve said. He looked around, shrugged and slowed his truck.

Mike followed the Troop Scouter’s example and stopped beside him.

“What’s the problem?” Steve asked leaning out his window. “None of your boys were hurt, were they?”

“No, nothing like that,” Mike said, shaking his head. “Kyle asked if we have enough supplies if the city has been over run. I don’t honestly know the answer to that.”

Steve looked stricken. “He’s right! I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve been so focused on getting back, I hadn’t given our supplies any thought whatsoever.”

“How’s our water?” Mike asked.

“We’ve only got what’s in our canteens and water bottles,” Steve said. “I poured the remaining water out back at the camp like I always do.”

“That’s what I thought,” Mike said with a nod. “We need to find some water before we get to the next town. If it is anything like Spring Valley, we won’t be able to get anything there.”

Steve’s smile was grim. “You’re right. We won’t be able to get much of anything there. Not water, nor food nor gasoline.”

“Nope.”

“That begs the question…how are you doing for gas?” Steve asked.

“I’ve still got about half a tank,” Mike replied. “I’ve got a jerry can in the back of the truck with a couple more gallons if I run out.”

“That’s good. I’m about the same, although I don’t have the spare fuel in the back.”

“So, what do we do about water?” Mike asked.

“Hey! What’s going on up there?” Shaun yelled from his vehicle.

“Pull up beside me,” Steve shouted back.

Shaun shrugged and pulled his truck up on the passenger side of Steve’s truck. Stan rolled the passenger window down so Shaun could hear the conversation.

“So, what’s going on?” Shaun asked. The dark circles under his eyes were the only indication something was wrong.

“Discussing the supply situation,” Steve replied. “Kyle rightly asked how we were setup with water and food.”

“Oh, Crap!” Shaun said. “I hadn’t thought of that. Way to go, Kyle! Your question might have saved our lives.”

“Maybe we could find an abandoned house and get water there?” Kyle asked, looking pleased at the compliment.

“That isn’t a bad idea,” Mike said. “We might even find food and gas. Out in the country, people tend to keep a stockpile in case they can’t get to town in an emergency.”

“So, we drive until we see a prosperous looking farm without any obvious undead wandering around?” Steve asked.

Mike shrugged. “It’s as good a plan as any, I suppose.”

“Do you want to lead us out, Mike?” Steve asked. “You grew up in the country. Maybe you will have better luck than either Shaun or I.”

“Sure, I can do that,” Mike said. He shifted the truck into drive. “Follow me.”