Part 09: Combat

We flew quickly over the forest, Jones and I manning the miniguns at the doors, shooting at any abbers that we saw. "Alright boys, get ready."Everybody jumped up as we landed and ran out the door. Two of the crew took over as gunners, and we formed up with me on point. The earpieces buzzed on "Alright, remember: We're helping survivors, but don't ever let your guard down." The squad looked solemn for a moment, remembering the guy who got ambushed by a survivor he tried to help.

     We started moving, shooting any aberrations we saw, Jones even tore one to pieces with his hands. It was freaky, to say the least. We kept moving, finally finding the group. Able called for the jet. We found out that the survivors were from the group that started the project. It was called project Titan. They were able to give us a whole box of notes on everything, the experiments and subjects. Finally, they picked us up, their thrusters busting a tree to splinters. I remember jumping onto the jet, and it happened...

     I got knocked out, maybe just for a few seconds, but when I came to, I saw three of the damn things right there. They had ambushed us when our backs were turned. I spun around, knocking one to the ground and pounding it's skull in with my hand. Then I loaded my rifle and shot a burst into the second. But wait, where'd the third go? I looked over, finding that it had pinned Brown to the ground. Probably wasn't hard, the guy was maybe 5'3", but he had brains... and guts. I ran over, flipping the creature on it's back, and unloading the rest of my magazine into it. I got him up, and helped him limp to the aircraft. When we got in, they dropped a syrette of morphine into my hand, telling me to treat him while we moved. I tore what was left of his leg armor away to reveal a nasty, gaping wound. I called for a medkit, which was gladly brought over. I jabbed him with the syrette, and started stitching...

     When we landed, it was dark, and I was covered in blood. I walked home, tired as hell, but feeling awake at the same time. I walked in the house, where I found Sharlene looking nervous. I walked over to her, and she looked like she'd seen a ghost. "What's wrong?"

     "I was so worried about you!" She reached up to hug me, but I stopped her. "Let me take a shower first, OK?" I walked in the bathroom and turned it on, putting my clothes right into the washer. I started it and stepped in...

     When I came out, I sat down next to her, finally getting her to relax. I made us some food, and sat down, giving her a plate. She turned to me, saying "Jacob, promise me you won't turn me away."

"What do you mean?" I was tired... and confused.

"Jacob, I love you, I don't want to lose you..."

"And you won't, I promise." She seemed more nervous than before.

"Alright Sharlene, you seem tired. Go to sleep, OK?" So she did.

     Now it was just me up. I thought to myself, about my family, about my mission today, and about Sharlene. I started to worry. What if I ended up dead? What if this disaster never ended. And more importantly, what do I do with Sharlene? I was too tired to think, and I passed out right there. 

     I woke up to my alarm, finding a new schedule. I was to question the survivors from yesterday.