Part 08: Let's Roll

So I got home, giving the bouquet of flowers to Sharlene. I kissed her, and was about to mention my new mission, but then I remembered that I had been instructed not to tell anyone. So I had to keep it for myself. Instead, I simply asked how her day had been and what she wanted for lunch. She said she wasn't hungry, she lost her appetite after hearing that Joey, one of the biologists in the lab had died in the ER, it was because he had lost the entire bottom half of his body, intestines and all. It seemed that she was too upset to talk, so I hugged her, made myself a sandwich and said goodbye, grabbing my gear and heading to where I was instructed.

     So I met up with the rest of the group, and they lead me to an enormous room. One guy hit a switch and two walls spun around. One was covered in these exo-suit looking things, and the other with all sorts of weapons.

"Roll Call!" The familiar words snapped me to attention.

"Able!" a hand went up.

"Brown!" another hand.

"Johnston!" my hand went up, almost instinctively.

"Jones!" the guy next to me put what had been a hand up, now it was just metal, like a robotic prosthesis. 

"Smith!" One more hand.

"Alright, gear up!" An older guy from earlier in briefing, he was tall, maybe 5'9, and looked about 50 years old.

In unison, the cry of "Yes Sir!" echoed through the cavernous room.

"Today you're moving to a spot about 25 clicks from here. There's been sighting of some survivors. You'll be brought by jumpjet, let's go!"

We all ran to the walls, first pulling on the armor and  activating it, then grabbing weapons. Some were made to clip onto the wrists, others were standard hand held types. I just stuck to my rifle, one I had trusted for quite awhile now. "Let's go!, jet's here!" We all ran to the elevator, and once the doors shut, we shot up to a hangar that seemed to be underground. We climbed onto a strange looking aircraft, I immediately jumped to one of the M134 miniguns at the door. "Alright Archangels, let's roll". And with that, we were moving.