Part 03: R&R

When we finally made it back to my living quarters, it was about 21:30. By then, we were both exhausted from the day we had had. So I let her in, and we both headed upstairs. I asked her if she was hungry, with the simple reply "Yes, a bowl of noodles if you wouldn't mind". Okay, easy enough, I thought to myself, figuring that I'd make it easier on myself and just make two bowls.

     So after our meal, I looked over, noticing a mixture of grief and anger playing over Sharlene's facial features. I turned to her, asking "are you alright?" to a reply of "no". Ugh, I've always hated dealing with other people's emotions, they make me conflict myself. But strangely, I didn't secretly want to avoid these feelings. There was just something about her that just MADE me want to help her. So I slid over on the couch and rested her head on my side. I was finally able to coax her into talking, and she spoke, albeit very quietly. She sobbed about the loss of her friends, her possessions, and the research that they had that could've saved the human race. "Well, you can stay here, I'll take care of you". I said it, but it wasn't me that said it, it was almost instinctive, like some primordial thought process showing through. She thanked me, and taking deep breaths, fell asleep. So I picked her up and carried her into my room,  tucking her into my bed. Then I went back into the living room to clean my rifle and go to sleep.