Part 02: Breakout

As I neared the fence, I noticed I was just in time. An aberration was only a few feet from the fence, about to break through. I cocked my weapon, aimed and fired. The shot hit the creature dead between the eyes, bringing back memories of my childhood, when I used to go to the range with my family, constantly improving my accuracy with every shot I fired. The aberration was knocked back, falling over before dying convulsively.

     As time went on, there were bigger piles of bodies from the mutants. As the cleaning crews came to dispose of the bodies, I walked back to the lab, to go see Sharlene as I had promised. I walked slowly, clearing my mind, and relaxing from the rush of adrenaline I had just experienced. As I finally neared the familiar, bleak building, I noticed something was wrong. I heard screams and the breaking of glass. That could mean only one thing.

     I reloaded my rifle almost autonomously. I ran into the building to find a gruesome sight: an aberration had escaped, wreaking havoc as it tore scientists limb from limb, about to claim another victim. It was dark in there, but as my eyes adjusted, I realized who the person was: it was Sharlene. I knew that I just had to help. As the creature lunged towards her, I aimed and fired, hitting the beast in the back of the head, dropping it instantly. I ran towards her to make sure she was okay, taking the scared woman in my arms to comfort her. She said she was going out for lunch when it all happened. In the lab, as they were about to start a vivisection on the aberration, it freed itself of it's restraints, quickly killing the scientists and security team inside. It then broke down the door, killing any humans who happened to be nearby. Sharlene looked up at me with tears in her eyes, saying "I'm glad you were here, thank god we only had one". I asked if she knew what she was going to do now. "No, I don't have a home here, I just sleep here in the lab, but I don't know what I'll do now that it's been destroyed", she sobbed. "You can come back to my quarters with me if you want, at least that way you could get some sleep", simple words, yet you could see what it meant to her just by the look in her eyes. She said yes, so we left, heading to my quarters half way across base.