Part 04: Good Morning

The next morning came, and I woke up, trying to remember all that had happened the night before, thinking it had all been a dream. Alright, reality check time, I was indeed on my couch, and when I looked into my bedroom, there indeed was Sharlene, in a world of serenity only sleep can bring. "Alright, might as well get moving", I said to myself as my mind caught up to the rest of the world. I got up, quietly walked into my room to get clothes, and took a shower. When i got out, I checked in my room, and she was still asleep. I walked into the kitchen and started prepping breakfast...

     Sharlene woke up right as I was almost finished cooking, as if she were instinctively hardwired to wake to the smell of breakfast cooking. I looked at her, saying "Morning. If you want to grab a warm shower, breakfast will be done in about 15 minutes.". She nodded, quietly walking into the shower. As she walked through the living room, I watched her. There was something there, but I just couldn't figure it out...

     Right as I finished cooking, Sharlene stepped out of the bathroom, walking to the couch and sitting down. I plated up food for the two of us, and walked into the room, handing her a plate. She smiled and thanked me...

     When I finished, I walked over to my computer, glancing over the days schedule:

Ssgt Jacob Johnston 

09:00-10:00 > Briefings

10:00-12:00 > Patrol

12:00-13:00 > Lunch

13:00-18:00 > Salvage Lab Ruins

18:00 > End Day

Ssgt? I could've sworn I was just a sergeant the day before.

     I closed the laptop, turning to Sharlene. "Well, It's 08:40, I gotta head down to HQ for briefings, after that I got patrol, then I'll be back for lunch. You gonna stay here?". She looked back, with a half smile, "Yeah, I got nowhere else to go, so I might as well.". I looked at her, said goodbye while simultaneously grabbing my weapon, and walked out.