Part 07: A Mission

I was awoken to the sound of my alarm at 6:30. I sat up, kissing her cheek before rolling out of bed. I grabbed clothes and took a shower. When I got out, I checked my schedule. It wasn't like my normal one though. This time, I had:

09:00-12:00 > Briefings

12:00-13:00 > Lunch

13:00-18:00 > Special Assignment

18:00 > Day End

'What could this "special assignment" be? And why is today's briefing so long? Oh well, I'll find out later. For now, I need to make some breakfast.'

     I went to the kitchen, preparing something for Sharlene and I to eat. Just as I finished, she walked into the kitchen, kissed me, and sat on the couch. I brought her her plate, and we sat down together. When we finished, I washed off our plates and sat down with her to cuddle. We must have sat there together forever, because when I looked up, it was 8:45, so I kissed her, said goodbye, and grabbed my weapon, walking out of the house.

     As I got to the briefing room, I was greeted by an armed security guard, who then lead me down the hall to a room I had never been in. He opened the door, motioning me into the strange room. As I walked in, I was greeted by the base commander, as well as some men I had previously never met. They were introduced to me as members of an elite group who's job it was to locate survivors and gather intel on the outbreak. I was told to sit, which I did. We sat silently for what seemed like an eternity, until the commander spoke up.

"So, staff-sergeant, you may be wondering why you're here. I'll tell you. I've gotten word of the incident at the lab. What you've got is a level of bravery unlike most others. These men all have a job to do, and that's fighting. They go out there, saving survivors and trying to find out what makes these things what they are. You're here because I want you to join this team."

"Yes sir. When do I start?"

"Thirteen hundred hours. You will meet in this room. Am I clear?"

"Yes Sir!"

     At this point, I was dismissed early, and told to go spend time with Sharlene. I thanked the men and walked home. On the way, I stopped at what used to be a park to get some flowers for Sharlene.