Chapter 10

“Meet me on Thames Street; I’ll take you out though I’m hardly worth your time.  In the cold you look so fierce, but I’m warm enough because the tension’s like a fire.  We’ll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes and like a bad movie I’ll drop a line, fall in the grave I’ve been digging myself but there’s room for two.  Six feet under the stars.”

I sing quietly to myself as Wendy rests peacefully.  The sun is just rising, which makes me guess that it’s somewhere around five in the morning.  The view here is always so amazing; it’s really no wonder that this was my inspiration for “Six Feet Under the Stars” all those years ago.  I am internally conflicted: I don’t want to disturb Wendy’s sleep, but I also don’t want her to miss this.  I nudge her gently and whisper in her ear.

“Wendy, darling, wake up.  You should watch this with me.”

She stirs very slightly, but doesn’t wake up.  In lieu of answering me, Wendy mumbles incoherent speech.  She is so cute when she is tired.  I lean down and gently place a kiss against her temple.  Her eyelids flutter and she sighs contentedly, a small smile spreading across her lips.  I kiss her again, this time against her forehead.  She wiggles very slightly this time; more awake than before.  For a third and final time, I press a kiss against her cheek.  Wendy’s eyes gently flicker open and she gives me a shy smile.

“Good morning Alex,” she half-croaks half-whispers.  The left side of her lips droop down in a frown manner upon hearing her own voice.  I chuckle lightly.

“Good morning Wendy, dear.  I’m sorry to wake you, but I just thought that we could watch the sunrise together.”  I reach my hand up and push some stray hairs out of her face and behind her ear.

“Okay,” she nods.  She snuggles in closer to me and directs her gaze at the sun peaking over the horizon.  “The view here is so beautiful,” her breath catches.  “I can hardly remember it from last night, but the small fragments I can recall are stunning.”

I try to look at the sunrise, but I can’t tear my eyes away from her face.  The pale orange glow from the sun causes Wendy’s skin to glitter and shine; her naturally brown hair shines bronze; and her hazel eyes are glowing.  I want to kiss her right now.  My hand twitches, imploring me to reach out and hold her face.  Her smooth lips shine with the reflection of the light.  I can’t help myself.

“Wendy,” I whisper.

Her head snaps back towards me and her eyes focus on my own.  But when I press my lips together hard, her gaze shifts.  Wendy’s eyes dart from my eyes to my lips and back again.  I move my face a fraction of an inch closer to hers; I’ve leaned in so little that I’m not even sure she’s noticed.  But she has.

“Alex,” she whispers.

Wendy and I slowly cross the distance until our lips are locked together.  My mouth is more eager than hers, so I try to slow it down and move with her.  We’re lying down on the blanket – her arms around my neck and my hands at her waist.  She wiggles one of her legs so that it is intertwined with mine.  I never want this kiss to end.  My hands gently – and slowly – tug her body closer to my own so that we are pressed up against one another.  Her hands move into my hair, tugging on it gingerly; I can’t help but let out a low moan.  Wendy draws another moan from my throat when she gently bites my lower lip.  I press my entire upper arms – instead of just my palms – against her back; my hands play with the very ends of her hair.  Wendy flicks her tongue against my lips and my teeth.  I don’t know how she does it, but because of her my brain is tumbling through thoughts and completely clear at the same time.  Her tongue snakes into my mouth and the kiss deepens.

When Wendy finally breaks away, we’re both panting.

“That was,” she struggles to find the right word, “intense.”

“It was amazing,” I reply.  She shoots me a small, shy smile.

“That too.”

I chastely peck her temple again and we watch the remainder of the sunrise together.  The orange and yellow and red light flow through the sky – all the same color but three different colors also.  The views seen at Assateague are unlike any others.  I think about staying here forever; about running away with Wendy.

“Imagine having a home right here,” I mutter.

Her eyes close softly and she inhales deeply through her nose.  “Everything about this is perfect.  I would love to live right here, right now…in this moment forever.”

I stare at her for a fraction of a second.  I wasn’t expecting to be shut down completely, but I also wasn’t expecting that her thoughts right now would be so similar to my own.  I would stay in this moment if we could, but I know that’s not possible.  The moment is passing even now, as I think about it.  But even though this moment is passing, I want to have more just like it with her.

Wendy and I both turn our attention back to the sunrise.  I’m lying back, propped up on my elbows while she is resting her head on my chest by my right shoulder.  We watch as the sun moves further and further into the sky; various breeds of birds fly over us; the ground rustles beside us as the wind blows through it; this morning is perfectly.  I can feel Wendy’s breathing has slowed and when I glance into her eyes, I find them closed.  I softly stroke her hair, careful not to wake her.  When I first met her, I didn’t think I would like her as much as I do.  And though she has always appeared quite beautiful, she has become even more beautiful.  Her hair shines and I can smell the coconut from it as the wind softly wafts it in my direction.  Her hair tickles my cheek but I don’t mind.  I move from her head to her whole body; I never noticed how slim she was.  My hand could easily wrap around her wrists, my arms around her waist, and she has that “thigh gap” that girls seem to be obsessed with.  My god, she is so very beautiful.  I close my eyes and soak up the moment.

____________________________________________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Enjoy this chapter you smut-loving, wonderful readers - it may be the last for a week or so.  Don't hate me, but I gotta focus a lot on college essays.  Dream school is Cornell University and I'm applying there early decision, so the deadline is 11/1.  But my guidance counselor wants me to get all of my stuff done by 10/8.  And I'm not done with my three essays.  So.  Freaking out a little?  YES!  So pitty me, dears!  Pitty me for all the reasons.  Let's hope the college addmissions boards enjoy my essays as much as you folks seem to enjoy this story.  Anyways, love you all!  Bye!!