Chapter 11: Hidden Pearl

He wasn't all right. They hadn't been all right since they'd returned from Nigeria. Other than work, they hadn't addressed their fallout. She had kept her distance, locking herself behind her office door. He'd agonized all night in the dark waiting for her to return to the hotel. She hadn't. When he called she didn't pick up, but he left a message letting her know their flight was scheduled for the day after. He'd spent that day hunkered down in the hotel, on occasions at the bar drinking the local brew. The barista tapped the counter to grab his attention while drying a glass.

"Whatever you do, don't believe a word she has to say."

"Who?"

"You'll see." No sooner than he inquired, an arm found its home around his neck.

"Hi."

"Hello." he responded warily, leaning away. She filled the seat nest to him, crossing her legs seductively. The woman was slender with mocha colored skin and sported an extremely short haircut. Her lips adorned fire engine red lipstick that pronounced her already full lips. Connor instantly knew she was dangerous. Any woman who had ever approached him wore the same look in her eyes -- lust. He didn't care much for snakes that crawled around on their bellies, nor the two-legged vipers that came in any color.

"My name is Nida. What's yours?"

"Connor." The barista glanced back, eying this vixen, thanking God he hadn't gotten entwined with her. She'd caught him in a moment of weakness when his marriage was on the rocks. He'd escaped by the skin of his teeth and hoped this man had the foresight to run while he had the chance. Once Nida started spinning her web, a man was almost sure to get caught.

"There has been a lot of chatter about you and Taiwo."

"I'm sure there has."

"Where is she now?"

"Are you a friend of hers?"

"Friend? Can't say that I am, thought we've met a time or two in the past."

"I see. In that case, I'd like to drink my beer alone if you don't mind."

"Drinking alone is never good or fun. I can help take your mind off what's bothering you."

"No thank you. My troubles are my own."

"A man shouldn't have to handle his troubles alone. Besides, Taiwo is the last woman you should-"

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear," he interrupted, "I don't want to be bothered."

"I was just trying-"

"I don't care what you were just trying to do. I'm not interested in you, in what you think you can offer me. The only thing I'm interested in is you leaving me alone so I can finish my beer in silence." Nida's eyes narrowed to slits as she stomped away in anger.

"Serves her right," the barista lamented. "She's the main reason Amenze and Taiwo broke up. The idiot slept with her and Nida made sure to rub it into Taiwo's face. Can't remember a time when she hadn't had it out for her. She wanted everything Taiwo had."

The only thing he could do was wait. But what needed to continue was the commitment to his clothing line. Placing a call to Linda, his Creative Designer, he told her to change all the models to fit the current theme they were creating. He wanted to give Taiwo free reign to take the line whichever way she chose. Her personal style bit at him. Gone were her traditional clothing along with her long coily hair. He'd gotten used to her vibrant outfits, was always curious and ready for what she hit him with next. Instead she updated her wardrobe to oversized button downs with black wide legged pants and white flats.