Chapter 3: The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back

Walking into Cooling Designs felt like an icebox only the abominable could wade in. It was true Cooling scored high praise for their services, still, he knew he was wasting his time here. The walls were a dizzying insomniac white and the light pouring in through those large ungodly windows didn't help. The employees looked glazed over, only interested in the task set before them. If Amanda hand't been roaming around checking on the status of a few contracts, he nor Tolbert would have ever been welcomed.

"Gentlemen, it's lovely of you to make the trip to Cooling Designs."  If he never heard Cooling Designs again, it couldn't come soon enough. He also didn't like her Cheshire grin, it grated against his nerves.

"I'm pleased to make your acquaintance Ms. Cooling." Tolbert added.

"Ms. Cooling? Oh no, call me Amanda, please." she whined.

"If we could start the meeting..." He'd never had a problem with small talk but something about her stuck in his craw.

"You are a bit early, but you're welcome to wait in the conference room. Just walk straight back and go right through the double doors. I promise to be with you momentarily. Now if you'll excuse me." She smiled at both men and her eyes settled on Connor's a split second before she dismissed herself. Her sour smile hadn't fooled him, nor did her eyes. She definitely sliced him through.

"Whatever happened to common courtesy?" Tolbert mumbled under his breath.

"Who're you telling? Besides, this was your idea. You got us into this."

"I guess we should walk ourselves back."

"Let's get this over with."

Before they could take two steps, a mass of tied up midnight curls bounced around the corner, heading their direction. She had a folder pressed against her breasts before lifting her gaze to their visitors. 

"Oh, hello. How may I help you gentlemen?" Both men exchanged quick, shocked glances at one another.

"We were just heading back to the conference room." Tolbert explained.

"Would you like me to show you the way?"

"Please do."

"Follow me then." Before they could start off, Connor chimed in.

"Taiwo Yona, thirty-seven years old, Building Designer, employeed for the last three years at Cooling Designs, that's you, correct?" Tolbert raised an eyebrow in question as Taiwo stood stunned.

"Please tell me you're not a stalker." she joked.

"Of course not!" he chuckled. "That's all the information I had time to memorize about you."

"Ah, you were on the company's website."

"Correct. Last I checked, you weren't there."

"Information was added this morning at my request."

"I see." Amanda was watching Taiwo chat it up with her guests and it slightly irritated her. Planting herself at Tolbert's side, she kindly led the way then abruptly came to a halt.

"Taiwo, fetch three cups of coffee, two for our guests, and of course one for me." Taiwo bit back a retort remembering this was Amanda being Amanda, always attention seeking, always trying to assert her faux authority.

"I don't drink coffee."

"Nor do I." Connor lamented. Amanda's eyes sharpened into poisonous blades as she scrunched her lips tightly. "But if you happen to have Earl Grey tea, I'd love some." he addressed Taiwo.