"We're not, not friends." Chara decided after a while. "Things are just weird now. I guess I can sort of see how you feel about having to be two-faced toward everyone. I keep wanting to clue Artemis in—of course, I'd never do that—but I don't know how that would fix anything, you know?" Miren nodded.

"I mean, she's helping. A lot. And if she knew you were fine she'd probably stop, maybe even turn her back on us for lying to her," Chara said, folding her arms, blowing some visible air out of her lips. "But we need to coordinate better. I'm sorry for not cluing you in earlier."

"It's fine," Miren said, sensing the mood between them finally shift for the better. "You didn't have to help either. And I appreciate you going on this crazy ride with me."

The sanguine sophomore smiled. "I basically strapped you in your seat. But I'll talk to Wallace." The Petunia dormitory appeared before them and Chara nodded before moving toward the steps. "Welcome to Operation Showstopper."

***

It was a stupid name, but Artemis wasn't complaining. She had bigger issues, one of them a blonde ex who apparently didn't know that "breaking up" meant not talking to each other. Luckily for her, she was in the one place he would never go.

In one of the study rooms at the Rinzen library, she worked diligently and discretely on her master plan. The safe box was safely stored in Wallace's room, but the group had no luck in getting past the combination. She scratched her head, considering this minor barrier. The contents could very well end this feud—expose Penelope for the vindictive witch she was, and snap the final straw. Then Penelope's parents would have the encouragement they needed to ship the girl off to school in Colombia or something.

It was that simple. But they'd have to pace themselves for it to work.

Artemis closed her eyes as she considered her options. The show was in less than a week, and other than using the Headmistress' server to contact Erik Harper, a Julliard recruiter, she had no idea how she was going to fuck up Penelope's chances at stardom. She got a glimpse of one of the dress rehearsals, and Penelope was phenomenal. A clothing malfunction or something would do little to deter her, wouldn't it? After all, she'd been exposed to the point of no repair, yet the female students stopped making fun of her the second they watched Jennifer Lawrence's stupid message about tolerance and slut shaming.

"Why is this so complicated?" she yelled at the empty room, beating her fist on the exposed brick wall.

"I thought you were a chemistry wiz." Her eyes snapped upward. Although she was relieved it wasn't Soren, Parker wasn't much of a consolation. He took a seat next to her and she forced herself to look natural.

"Dr. Bevers gave me an extra credit assignment in AP chemistry." She scratched her head as she turned a page in her book. "I guess I shouldn't really fuss over it, but her finals are insane and I need all the help I can get."

"Wallace can probably offer a hand." He shrugged. "Let me know and I can set you up. Now that I think about it, you guys don't really talk."

"Sounds good." She smiled a little bit too brightly than the situation called. "How are things with you? I'm sorry about the video—"

"Are you?" His eyes narrowed against hers. But she wasn't surprised; she expected this encounter sooner or later. And now they could get it over with.

"I know what you're thinking." Her head fell lightly, her glance retreating to the table. "You think I'm somehow responsible, right?"

"Are you?" he only repeated, his expression dark and contemplative. "Because I get why you'd want to take down Penelope after all the shit she's done. But—"

"You think I'd really throw you under the bus like that? After all you did to help me?" Her eyes met his, and the emptiness in them almost took her off guard. Shaking, she took a jagged breath. "Miren died because of bullying. Do you honestly believe I would do the same thing? Do you think I'm Penelope?"

Truthfully, a small part of her worried if their revenge scheme would destroy her sense of morality. But then she remembered the greater good. And if she had to be a bitch to take a bitch down, so be it.

"I didn't say that." The boy turned away, looking slightly ashamed. Artemis tried not to perk up too much. She had him.

"I know." She shook her head. "Sorry, I guess I may have been jumping to conclusions. I've only just started to feel like myself again. But I've forgiven Penelope—you can go ask her yourself," she told him as she cupped her hand over his. "I want to move on, Parker."

"So do I," he said, pinching her hand slightly. "But I don't know who to trust anymore. It could have been anyone, couldn't it? Jemma. Soren. Klondike. Maybe even Penelope herself."

"It's not wise to dwell on things you can't control." She interlocked her fingers with his. "Things have been calm for almost a month now. Prying will only make things worse."

"You're acting like it's possible to go past rock bottom." He closed his eyes, sighing. "But you're right—you're always right."

"And you're too righteous for your own good," was her response. Her free hand shifted to his face, stroking his cheek softly. He jerked back slightly, before relaxing in her grip. "But you have to know that I would never hurt you, Parker. You're the only one who's kept me sane through all of this." She pecked his cheek and his eyes reopened. "Why don't you come to the performance with me?"

"Like a date?" Parker's voice was mostly mocking, but his heart flopped in something resembled excitement. Artemis nodded.

"Pen could really use our support after everything. I'll even help you pick out her favorite flowers."

The senior smirked. "Alright. Sounds like a plan."

She rose to her feet. "I better get back to campus before dinner ends." She patted his shoulder. "Promise me you'll be productive at the library for once?"

"You see I would, but I just ate and The Itis is taking over." He rested his curly head on the wooden table. "I'll dream of doing my homework, if that counts."

She rolled her eyes before dismissing herself. "Alright. Bye."

"Later."

Once she was in the main library area, however, her smile vaporized into a frown. She pulled out her phone, dialed for Chara.

"Hello?" the girl answered.

"Change in plans."