Chapter 13- Sense and Sensibility

One of the little things she loved was the feeling of walking on snow. Her heart would be racing and her fingers shivering beneath her mittens, but that would never stop her from taking walks occasionally in the storm.

The chilly air swept by her and she hugged her coat closer as she trudged along a little disappointed. It started to snow a little earlier this year, and the school had shut down for a few days due to it, but she was not walking for the fun of it tonight.

She had a 'dance with the devil' as he'd call it.

Of all the times he could ask for her, he chose the moment she was initially avoiding Sasuke and identifying herself, a moment she would rather cower in her room with a heap of food and rom-coms.

Kushina sat on a bench overlooking the busy streets in a park far away from her home and closer to the city center, but she was not unfamiliar with the bustling crowds and the cars moving in a blur, or the slightly damp wood she sat on; this was maybe as usual to her as going to school.

The bench creeks as another weight is set on it, and she looks the other direction as a habit. There's a small family building a snowman a few feet away.

"Good evening Miss Uzumaki," his deep voice drills past the chilly air and rings in her red-tipped ears, and she shuffles a little closer while hugging herself as a sign of acknowledgement, though she doesn't turn to him just yet. "You seem to become lovelier every meeting."

She snorts depite herself and sinks a little on the seat, while watching the cars race by intently.

"Is this going to be another pointless rendezvous, because you have one more left and I'm free, and I know you must have some big plan."

He is quiet for more than she anticipated and so she faces him on the bench. He is not wearing as much as her despite the harsh cold, only difference from his usual suited attire is the navy gloves. It's a plus though that he chose to keep his distance, a problem they once had the first few times they met.

"How's Sasuke?" he asks gazing up at the dark blue sky, his face as expressionless as usual.

"He is happier than ever."

The man smiles ever so slightly, she almost misses it when she looks away.

"And I believe you're satisfied?"

"I am actually."

The pure look from his face contorts to a snidely smirk as he leans back and places both his arms across the bench, his right capturing her shoulders and pulling her as close as he could without annoying her and cutting the meeting short. A child could fit between them comfortably.

Kushina scowls disdainfully.

"How long is the school off?" he inquires with a chilling drawl, his fingers grazing her shoulder fleetingly all the while.

"Till Monday," she replies hesitantly.

"Four days," he says to himself testily, and Kushina knew not to move an inch as he was in a lit-up mood. He suddenly releases her and gives her space, though he turns a little to face her, a serious look cast, and she assumes he has reached his final request.

"I will give you two options, as I am a fair man," she rolls her eyes a little, ignoring the gravity of the situation, and he smirks as he continues. "You may refrain from that as you know of the debt you owed me, one that can be finally paid in a days' time."

She grumbles as her shoulders slump, but accepts nonetheless.

Two months ago

"Sasuke," she whispered softly, glancing around the suddenly dark office after fruitlessly trying to open the door. "The door's not working?"