Chapter One

Chapter One

My head is aching as if a sledgehammer is being constantly pounded on my temples.

 I can't feel my body.

 It's as if I'm weightless, floating through a lightless void, its a surreal feeling really. Memories play in my mind from meeting Edward for the first time, to being imprisoned in Arkham Asylum twice. I then remember something else. It's stronger than the others, more vivid, more recent. 

It plays clearly in my mind

//

My cell door slides open with a whoosh. "Ah hello Doctor and Co." I grin, sliding around to face them on the thin mattress. Four heavily armed guards and an unusually calm female doctor enter. Two of the guards stay at the entrance, watching me with scrutinising eyes. The other three come to a stop in the middle of my small cell. I notice the doctor's eyes flash to the writing I have scrawled all over the wall behind my bed, before resuming back onto me. I smile at her but to my disappointment she smiles back. This is new.

"Isn't this cozy." I chuckle, swinging my legs off the edge of the bed. The guards at the door tense and tighten their hold on their weapons. 

"Hello Ms Deck. My name is Doctor Agatha. How are you doing today?" The doctor asks, the kind smile still on her face. 

Time to remove that smile. 

"Hmm, riddle me this Doc'." I say, purposely ignoring the introduction of her name and her question. "To what do I owe the pleasure of being visited?" They stay silent and it's then that I notice the big syringe in one of their gloves hands. I freeze and watch them cautiously approach me, guards at the entrance watching my every move.

"Ms Deck this won't hurt. It is simply to calm you down when we transport you." Agatha says, taking a step toward me. I take a defensive stance by clenching my fists and holding them above me while slightly squatting. 

"You will not be sticking that thing in me." I warn, glaring at them.

"It won't hurt a bit." She repeats. The three of them come closer, cornering me. I have heard the stories from the other inmates. Doctor Strange loves to experiment on the patients in horrific, inhuman ways. Besides I will not be transported anywhere, not without Edward.

With unexpected speed, one of the guards grab my left arm. I instinctively pull pack, startled but quickly recover. I strike him in the temple with my free hand just as the other guard grabs my right arm. Surprisingly, the first guard hangs on. He must be tougher than I thought.

"Quick get her now!" The guard who I hit yells. Agatha readies the needle and comes closer. Once she is close enough, I kick my legs out into her stomach.

"Urghhhe." She clutches her stomach with one hand, the needle in the other. Dammit.

I thrash around in the two men's grips, knowing what's next. "Code Red." The second male doctor yells just as I break free. I make a wild dash to the exit, shoving Agatha to the floor as I pass. The two guards at the entrance run at me, guns raised.

"Freeze!" They demand, pointing their weapons. I quickly disarm one of them, pushing him into the wall. I then grab the barrel of the gun with both hands and fling it to the side. Weapon less now, he goes for my neck. I dodge his grab and punch him square in the jaw. Before he can fight back I dash for the gun, aim and pull the trigger. It clicks but no bullet fires. 

It's not loaded.

He punches, catching me off guard, and I feel my nose crunch. Blood spurts everywhere and I clutch it in pain.