Nine

I smell the coffee before I open my eyes. 

When I open them I see the wooden tray on the bedside  table.  There's a steaming coffee pot, a tall glass of orange juice, and a plate with a heap of scrambled eggs.  God he really is determined to feed me.   He comes through the bedroom door a second later carrying rack of toast. 

"Morning sleeping beauty,"  He smiles as he sets the toast on the tray.  He lifts a triangular slice to his mouth and flops down next to me on the bed as I rub my eyes and sit up.

"How are you awake and cooking?"  I ask.  "Did you go shopping?" He looks very fresh and completely divine in a crisp white t-shirt and slightly baggy grey jeans - his hair mussed and tuggable. He looks remarkably relaxed and casual.

"I walked back down to that Bakery again. The owner thinks I'm new in town, Ken is it? Told him I was fucking the hot doctor from up the road senseless," he winks.    "Nice guy - West Ham supporter too," He nods approvingly.

"Are they a rugby team?"  I smile.  He pretends to look shocked, and then hurt.

"Baby if we're gonna do this thing, you need to know that after you and Cale they mean everything to me."

I give him serious look and nod.  "Got it.  You really like rugby.  You have my full and complete support with this, don't worry."

The side of his mouth curls up. "You're lucky I'm in love with you you know that?"

I sigh dreamily.  "I do know that.  I'm a very lucky woman," I move across the bed, leaning up on my elbows to touch my mouth to his cheek, before reaching across to lift a slice of the warm moist toast.  He strokes his hand down my arm and then moves it across my naked back.  As I take a bite of toast he leans back against the headboard.  "Thanks for going shopping," I say as I move to lie against his chest.

"I didn't get much.  Bought bread, milk and eggs from the bakery. But you had next to no food downstairs you know that?" he frowns down at me.   

"I know, I've been away - I'll go shopping today mother." I smile. 

"Eh, no you wont," He bends his head and kisses me. 

"I wont?"

"No, cause today you're staying naked,"

"Oh, am I?"

"Mhm.  I've got six fucking weeks to make up for,"

"That is a lot of sex..." I blush.  "But you'll want me to eat at some point I presume?" I take another bite of the toast. 

"They deliver takeaway to the country I presume?" He asks, lowering his mouth to take a bite of the toast in my hand. 

"Yes, they deliver takeaway to the country smart arse." 

"Smart arse?" He cocks an eyebrow at me.   My grin threatens to break out over my mouth but I keep it in check and nod up at him.   "Oh you shouldn't have said that baby," he shakes his head in warning and tuts a disapproval. 

He moves suddenly, so that his body disappears from beneath me.  Then he moves over me and pushes me back into the bed. 

"You really shouldn't have said that.   You're gonna pay for that Alex.." He growls against my stomach before biting me softly on the hip.   

***

It was easy to ignore things when we were here like this.   It was easy to pretend we were just a normal happy couple when we were here like this.  When we'd spent a day doing normal happy couple things.  When the only decision we had to make was what to call in for dinner.  When Jake's world was miles away in the city, and his secrets that weren't secrets anymore were too.