"That's because we can't show our faces on either person's campus without people mocking us," he said almost bitterly. "How come you're not buying anything? I thought retail therapy was your specialty."

"That was before my mom cut me off." Penelope folded her arms, turning to an Armani store. She looked away before she could begin salivating at the winter fashion line. "She would have disowned me completely if I was eighteen. Guess I know what my next birthday present will be."

"Geez," Parker said with a sigh. "I'm sorry."

"Are you?" Even she knew it wasn't right to attack him, but she had gone through hell, hadn't she? "This is the first time you've actually talked to me in almost two months. I know my mom took my phone away from me before, but the Internet exists for Christ's sake. If you want to break up with me, why don't you just—"

"Just what?" His eyes were harsh against hers. It was ironic, how riled up they were as "You're a Mean One, Mister Grinch," played over them. "Why didn't you just leave Miren the fuck alone?"

She gritted her teeth, fuming. But maybe it was the Christmas decorations, the lively men and women and children shopping, because a feeling of calmness washed over her as the tension left her face. She shrugged with a slight slump of her shoulders. "Honestly, I don't know anymore." She stopped in place, surveying the life-size gingerbread house on the floor below them. "We had a huge fight. And she hurt me. Did I go overboard? Yes. But I can't do anything about it now. I wanted to find her too, you know."

Mostly just to further her own reputation, but still.

Fortunately, Parker wasn't buying it. "With that spirit, maybe you were the one that shot and leaked the video. All you want is for people to feel sorry for you. So I guess you're right. This is all your fault."

"And why the fuck would I do that? I go to a Catholic school. Unlike you, I didn't get a pat on the back from my fraternity brothers." She scoffed as she started for the escalator. "Some date this is."

"This isn't a date," Parker replied harshly. "I just wanted to warn you that someone is trying to take you down. And apparently this someone doesn't mind taking me down in the process." He shook his head as they stepped off the escalator. "You know, I thought the one good thing about the video would be that our parents wouldn't want us to be together anymore. But they don't care." He frowned. "My dad just warned me to not get you pregnant. And that was it. They're blinded by money the same way you're blinded by hatred." He hissed as if he was just realizing his girlfriend was evil. "I shouldn't have brought you here. This isn't a date and I never want to go on one with you again."

"Well, neither do I!" she yelled, storming outside, into the parking lot. Eager Christmas shoppers stared at them, put she just pushed forward. When she reached the car, she tapped her boot on the ground impatiently. "Just take me back to school, you asshole!"

"You're the asshole!" He slammed his door almost as fast as he had opened it, before turning on the ignition. He turned to her as she strapped on her seatbelt, shaking his head. "Fuck this. I'm not going anywhere with you until you tell me about The Incident. It's the least you could do." He was fuming. "Bitch."

Her mouth parted and she growled like a bear about to strike. "You do realize I could honestly tell you whatever I want, right? Miren can't verify any it because she's dead. She's dead and you're just mad she left instead of running to you!" Her voice was a thousand octaves above a yell. "So stop pretending that you're some prince that got trapped in a relationship with the evil witch. She didn't love you, and that wasn't her fault. You're not a good person. You're not a hero. And bash me all you want, but at least I know who I am."

"And who are you?" he spat, glaring at her. "Because you're nothing more than a good fuck to me."

She was heaving when her celeste eyes narrowed against his. "Then I guess we're on the same page."

Their lips crashed together, and they were making out shamelessly. No one knew who started it, but they weren't going to stop anytime soon.

***

"I'm guessing this isn't going to stop anytime soon." Jemma said as she stood in Headmaster Edsel's office with Levi. "How many times do I have to tell you that my twin isn't gay?" She folded her arms. "And even if he were, I thought you'd be more progressive about it."

"You really think I still care about that?" The headmaster rolled his eyes as he texted something on his iPhone. "If you were being productive like Levi, you'd know that I called you in for a more pressing reason."

She raised an eyebrow before turning to Levi, who was just smiling like the idiot he was. "Then elaborate."

"While you were busy making kissy faces with Klondike, Levi discovered that Miles has a crush on your pornstar friend," he said, referring to one of Miles' fake text conversations with Jeno.

"So? Just about every guy here does. Even the girls do." She motioned to the boy next to her. "Especially Levi."

"Guilty." He winked. "So as nice as this little meeting was, I'll take my recomendation letter by next week Wednesday. Three o'clock sharp. "

"Not so fast." The headmaster tapped his fingers on his desk. "Although a promise is a promise, I still feel something's off about him." He pursed his lips. "I don't know why it bothers me. I mean, his records are solid and I can't just call around to ask why a nerd is socially awkward." He started typing something on his computer. Hopefully something actually related to work.

"Find out whatever it is, and I'll reward you accordingly," he offered. "How about I recommend one of you for the Barack & Michelle Obama Presidential Scholar Award? I can only endorse one student per year, and the winners basically have to fight off Ivy Leagues." He pulled a gourmet gift basket from the floor and placed it on his desk. It was so heavy that it landed with a thud. "Everyone's vying for it, and I'd practically be giving it to one of you." He brushed his hands together as if he was wiping off dirt. "What do you say?

"Sounds tempting, but what if you betray me for your sister?" Levi wrinkled is nose. "The offer practically wreaks of nepotism."

"Either way, I'd have to pick between her and Jeno." The headmaster shrugged. "So knowing the rents, they'd probably prefer I pick an outsider so they don't kill each other."

"Fair enough," Levi considered before nodding. "I'm in."

"I just don't see the point in all of this," Jemma said, flicking her manicured nails. "I know you've always been obsessive, probably to the point of paranoia, but what the hell do you have to gain from exposing Miles?"

"Nothing," Edsel said matter-of-factly. His gray eyes were almost passive as he filed some papers on his desk. "It might be hard to believe, but my job is incredibly boring. Especially this time of the year. All I'm asking is for you to help me liven things up," he said as if he was just asking for Girl Scout cookies or something equally as innocent. "I already busted the prescription drug ring here and I'm looking to expose another controversy."

"Fine." Jemma was already at the door. "But you better make sure Klondike's letters sparkle. We're going to Colombia together."

"Not with his grades," Edsel mumbled under his breath. "But sure, why not. I'll see you losers later."

"Later." The two students dismissed themselves with eye rolls, and then that was that. But little did they know that Miles' situation was the definition of a word far worse than controversy.