Changed

Changed

Laurel's POV

2 WEEKS LATER

Graduation is 2 weeks away, and I'm a nervous wreck. I've yet to find anything to find anyway to wear, all of my finals are coming up and to top it all off my mother will be here in a week.

I talk to her over the phone yesterday. She sounded happier, healthier. Which is definitley a relief but of course it's nothing to put on a show for 30 minutes while your on the phone with your daughter who would be perfect content living life without you.

And to make matters worse I haven't been seriously alone with Julia in a week. Of course we have our time between my 1st and 2nd period, but lately that time seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

My phone rings, pulling me out of my stressful daydream. I pick my phone up off the bed and look at the screen. Amanda

"Hello." I answer the phone.

"Hey." My mother says.

"What's up?" I ask, placing the cap on my highlighter.

"Nothing. I was just calling to see how your day went."

Pulling the phone away from my ear, I check and make sure I'm talking to who I think I am.

"Mom, are you okay?" I ask skeptically.

"Yes, why do you ask?" She laughs.

"Well, I honestly can't remember the last time you asked me how my day was." I say, shoving my stuff off my lap, giving this phone call my undivided attention.

There's silence on the other end of the phone line.

"Mom?"

"I'm still here." she sighs.

"Well?"

"Laurel, I know I've put your through a lot. Especially lately with what I did to you a few weeks ago. But I really do want to be in your life. I'm getting help. I'm part of an AA group. I'm even seeing a psychologist. I'm so much better than I was and I'm really hoping you'll give me a chance to prove it to you."

I sit on my bed, waiting for the right words to come to me.

"Laurel, honey?"

"Yeah mom. I'm still here. I'm just a little surprised, is all." I mumble.

"I know. I'm sure its going to take some time for both of us to get use to. And I'm willing to put in however much time or whatever that's needed to get our relationship to a better place."

"This is a lot to take in." I say, drawing in a deep breath. "Can I have some time to process this."

"Of course. Take all the time you need. And when you're ready I'll be waiting." she says, using the words I'd said to her the day she left the airport.

I feel a smile crawl across my face and I can't help but imagine what hers looks like. It's been so long since I've really seen her smile and I honestly can't wait to see it again.