2nd Chances

2nd Chances

Laurel's POV

        'Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet. To go over everything. They say time is suppose to heal ya. But I ain't done much healing. Hello, can you hear me? I'm in California dreaming about who we use to be. When we were younger and free. I'd forgotten how it felt before the world fell at out feet. There's such a difference. Between us. And a million miles. Hello from the other side. I must have called a thousand times. To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done but when I call you never seem to be home. Hello from the outside. At least I can say that I've tried. To tell you I'm sorry for breaking-'

"Hey!" I shout as someone pulls my earbud from my ear.

    I open my eyes to see Steph and Melony standing on both sides of the hospital bed.

"You know you're not suppose to be listening to music with headphones right now, with your head an all." Steph says, taking the earphones out of my cell phone and setting them on the roll-over table.

"I had to find something to do since everyone left me." I fake pout.

"You're such a drama queen." Melony laughs, laying herself against the bottom of the bed.

    I roll my eyes at her.

"Well your mother is outside." Steph says, "She said she's ready to talk if you're ready."

"I guess I'm ready." I say, sitting up straight in the hospital bed.

    Steph walks out of the room and a few minutes later my mom walks in with Steph behind her. Today my mother has on a pretty white sundress and her brown hair is wavy.

"Hi." She smiles.

"Hey." I say, clasping my hands together.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine."

"That's good. I'm glad." she says, pulling her white sunglasses from her hair and folding them into the top of her sundress.

"So, what is it that you wanted to ask me." I ask, cutting straight to the point.

    My mother smiles briefly and her eyes flicker to Steph, who's standing next to my bed, then back to me.

"First, I want to start off by saying that I've really turned my life around since you left. I've been sober for a few months now. I work at a bank using my business degree. I moved out of that God-awfull house." My mom chuckles, tucking her hair behind her ear. "And I just wanted to ask you if maybe you'd consider moving back home with me...If you would give me a second chance."

    My mind is blank, clouded in a bank of numbness.

"She most certain will not!" Steph shouts, taking a step forward.

"I wasn't asking you!" My mother shouts back.

"How dare you come here and ask for her to live with you again after all you've done!" Steph exclaims.

"She's my daughter! I'm her mother!"

"Having a child doesn't make you a mother! You don't deserve to call yourself that! You don't deserve her!!!"

"That's hilarious coming from someone with no children of her own." My mother smirks, folding her arms across her chest.

    Steph is taken aback for a second and her face is shadowed with pain, but she quickly wipes it away.

"I have a daughter. Laurel is my daughter whether you choose to believe that or not. Now please leave." Steph says calmly.

"You're her stepmother. STEPmother. She's apart of me not you." My mother says.

"This conversation is over. I won't ask you to leave again." Steph says firmly.

"I'm not done talking to my daughter!" My mother objects.

"Amanda, please don't make me call security."

"Fine." my mother says defiantly, "But this isn't over. We're going to see what your husband has to say about this."

    Steph doesn't reply, but her finger is hovering over the call button, just waiting for the chance to push it.

My mother is sending death glares at Steph as she walks out the hospital room, but Steph looks unphased.

    A few minutes later, after I guess you can assume my mother if far on her way, Steph excuses herself and me and Melony are sitting in the hospital room in silence.

"What are you going to do?" Melony asks me.

"I don't even know." I sigh.

"You're not actually thinking about going to live with her again, are you?" Melony demands incredulously.

"Of course not." I assure her, "But she could always force me to."

"How?"

"My mother is very determined when she wants to be."

"So..."

"So, if she really wants me back under her thumb, then she'll find a way."

"You don't have to do anything. Legally you're an adult."

"Yeah. Let's hope she remembers that." I groan.

"If she doesn't you'll have to make her. Don't let her force you into doing anything you don't want to do." Melony says, climbing on the bed and laying her head on my shoulder.

        Oh how I wish it was that simple.

*SONG FROM CHAPTER IS BELOW*

"Hello" By: Adele