I Have To

* MIRANDA CARTER IN THE MEDIA*

I Have To

Julia's POV

Laurel texted me late last night to tell me she was coming to school today, though she wasn't due back until next week. I asked her if she was sure and she seemed really adamant about it. Originally, I was worried about her head, with her having the stitches and all, but she said the doctor had removed them before she was discharged. Hearing that was a source of relief. I just wanted her to come back to school and for everything to be how it was. Though in the back of my mind, I couldn't help associating this drastic change with that coward, Nathan.

"Hey, you." someone says from behind me as I'm pouring me a cup of coffee in one of Knightingale's many teachers' lounges.

I turn around for a second to see who said it. Miranda Carter.

"Hey Miranda. How are you?" I ask politely, stirring creamer into my mug.

"I'm great. How are you?" she says, coming up and leaning on the counter next to me.

"I've been better." I admit.

"Really? What's wrong." Miranda asks, I guess trying to sound caring.

"Just life." I say, eyeing her suspiciously.

"Life does get you sometimes." Miranda says, smiling a little.

"I suppose so."

A wave of silence washes over us, then I feel Miranda brush back a piece of stray hair that I'd let hang out of the bun my hair was in this morning.

"Miranda." I say cautiously, making an effort to put space in between the two of us.

"What?" she smiles, moving forward, closing the gap I'd made.

"I'm seeing someone." I tell her.

"Really?" she asks ignorantly, not fully taking in what I said.

"Yes, really."

"It's not anything serious, is it?" Miranda flirts, pulling gently on the collar of my peach button up.

"Yes, it's very serious." I say, wrapping my hands around hers, pulling them off my shirt.

"How so?" she asks, tilting her head to the side a little.

"I'm in love with her." I say.

Immediately, she straightens up and takes a step back.

"In love?" she questions.

"Yes."

"Well...that certainly changes everything." Miranda says, walking towards the table on the other side of the room.

"I'm sorry." I say, out of habit.

"What do you have to be sorry for?" she says, smiling softly.

For the first time since we've been talking there is no ulterior motive behind her smile.

"I don't know." I say, shaking my head.

"Hey, no worries. I understand. I was under the assumption that you were single when apparently I was very wrong." Miranda says, gathering her stuff from the table.

"You're not upset?"

"Of course not. We can still be friends can't we?"

"Sure." I smile.