Strange

*AMANDA IN THE MEDIA*

Strange

Steph's POV

The look on Laurel's face is torturing. Telling her that her mother won't give blood without seeing her face to face... She most certainly does not want to see her, but there's no time to find another solution.

"Then she doesn't have to give the blood. We can find another way, can't we?" Laurel says, giving me a pleading look.

"Bud we can't. We don't have the extra time." Robert tells her.

"Why don't we?" Laurel demands.

"We have you on a medication that is substituting for the lost red blood cells but it can only work for so long. You need the blood transfusion soon. Soon as in today." Dr. Mayes says.

These words only seem to frighten Laurel more, and her eyes flood with tears.

"Honey, we know seeing your mother again after all this time must be scary." I say, sitting on the hospital bed, taking her hands into mine. "And if this wasn't necessary for your health I would stand by you in not wanting to see her, but you need this. And what's best for you is my main concern right now."

She takes in a deep breath, and I can tell she's starting to calm down.

"Plus, you won't have to see her for long. Just long enough to have a simple conversation. You don't have to say anything you don't want to." I say, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"And I'll stay in here with you if you want." Melony volunteers.

"Really?" Laurel asks her.

"Of course, that's what best friends are for." Melony smiles sadly, touching Laurel's shoulder.

"I'll stay in too if you need me." I say, trying to reassure her with my eyes.

She seems to take it all in before speaking.

"Okay, I'll do it." She sighs, "But only if you and Melony stay in here the whole time. No matter what she says."

"We'll be here." I promise her.

She nods and lays her head down on the pillow.

"I'll be right back." I say, patting her hand.

I get off the bed and motion for Robert to follow me outside. He does and I drag him down the hall, far away from Laurel's door.

"You need to talk to Amanda before she goes in to see Laurel." 

"Why?" Robert asks.

"Are you totally oblivious to everything?! Amanda hurt Laurel in some deep ways. When Laurel first came to stay with us, she would wake up from her sleep a screaming and sweaty mess and it was because of Amanda."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I handled it. But I won't allow Amanda or anyone else to hurt her that way again. So, I'm telling you to talk to her before she goes in there, I'm not asking, Robert." I say, folding my arms across my chest.

His expression is bewildered, like he doesn't know how to respond.

"Where is all this coming from?" He asks.

"You weren't there. You didn't see the pain she was in...how withdrawn she was. How unlovable she thought she was. She's so much better than that and she deserves better. I refuse to let Amanda make her see differently."