Chapter 36

Chapter 36

It was day three of the Democratic National Convention - the single most important day in Brad's life. Of course, he couldn't have said that to Carolyn. She would have put their wedding or when their kids were born before this one. But in Brad's heart, he knew nothing could top the high he was going to feel today when the Convention nominated him as their presidential candidate.

He looked at his alarm clock. Five-fifteen. Knowing he couldn't go back to sleep, he tried to get up slowly so he wouldn't wake his wife. He had taken a few steps when he heard her groggy voice.

"What time is it?"

"It's only five-fifteen. Go back to sleep."

"No. If you're getting up, I will too."

Carolyn pushed the covers back and stretched. She opened her eyes and smiled. "I have a better idea. Why don't you come back to bed?"

Brad looked at his beautiful wife; she didn't have to ask twice. He slid in beside her for a pre-nomination celebration.

When they were finished making love, Carolyn flopped back on the pillows. "That was a great way to start the day, Mr. President."

Brad raised his eyebrows in mock horror. "You're not going to jinx this thing at the last minute, are you?"

Carolyn smiled. "Not a chance. The only thing you have to worry about at this point is what suit to wear for your acceptance speech tomorrow."

"It's not only picked out, it's pressed and ready to go."

"And you did that all by yourself?" Carolyn teased.

"Not the ironing part, just the selection."

"Impressive, none the less. Didn't you want my input? Now that Amy's not your assistant anymore. How's the new guy working out anyway?"

Brad felt his throat tighten. "Fine. I don't miss Amy at all."

"It's nice that you were able to promote her."

"She deserved it. Terry tells me she's doing a great job with her new responsibilities."

Wanting to put an end to the conversation, Brad got out of bed and stretched before pulling on a robe and going to the door. He looked out the peephole and then opened the door, leaving the chain on. Satisfied that no one was there, he took the chain off and opened the door all the way. He picked up the newspapers and then shut the door, using the double lock and chain again. Ever since the assassination attempt, he was a lot more security conscious.

Turning back to the living area, he saw that Carolyn had gotten up and was seated at the desk.

"Do you want me to order breakfast?" she asked.

"Yeah, my usual. Do you mind if I hop in the shower?"

"No, it's all yours. Even after dragging you back to bed, I've got plenty of time to get beautiful. No one looks at the first lady anyway."

Brad laughed. "Yeah, right. I'm half expecting to read what brand pantyhose you wear in today's paper. Speaking of which, you are wearing American designers, aren't you?"

"Don't worry. That's all I've brought with me on this trip."

"I shouldn't have even asked. You haven't made a wrong move yet on this campaign."

"I'm doing my best," Carolyn said.

Brad scooted a chair next to hers and sat down. He took both her hands in his. "So are you really on board with this, or are you just doing it for me?"

"I'm not going to lie to you. I'm not dying to be the First Lady of the United States, unlike being the First Lady of Illinois, which has been a pretty good gig. I've been able to do my own thing and even when I have made an appearance with you, it's not been a big deal. This, on the other hand, is something totally different."

"I know it is. I wasn't that far off with my earlier pantyhose comment."

"No, and I know it's only going to get more intense here on out. But having said that, the simple fact is that I love you. And I know this is your dream. And so I want it as badly as you do, because I want you to be happy. Because that will make me happy."

Brad reached out and cupped her cheek. "I couldn't ask for a better wife."

"You know if I didn't genuinely believe that you would make a wonderful president, my attitude might be different. But I know you are the best person for the job. I would never take this opportunity away from you."

"I'm so lucky to have you. Because even if being the first lady isn't your dream, you're going to make a spectacular one."

Brad leaned over and kissed his wife. "And now I'd better go take that shower."

* * *

Brad was meeting with one of his top supporters later that afternoon when Terry rushed into the room, breathless. "Routhe just called for the suspension of roll call to nominate by acclamation. This is it, Gov. You need to get in there."

Brad felt a surge of excitement as he shook his supporter's hand. "I'm sorry to interrupt our conversation, but it looks like destiny's calling."

On the walk to the convention center auditorium, Brad turned to Terry. "Have you located Carolyn and the kids?"

"Yes, sir. I called them, and they're going to meet you inside."

A few minutes later, Terry pulled the door open and Brad stepped through. Carolyn, Emily and Tyler were gathered in a circle waiting for him.

The candidate kissed his wife, and with his arm around her and their children following closely behind, he made his way up the aisle to the stage. Senator Jerry Routhe, Brad's closest rival in the primary, had announced his support of Brad and released his delegates to vote for him. When Brad walked onto the stage, Routhe stepped up to the microphone. "All those in favor of nominating Brad Newcomb, the respected governor of Illinois, as our Democratic candidate for President of these great United States, please say aye."

The convention center erupted with cheers and whistles. Brad stepped forward, his arms outstretched to the audience, relishing the moment he had worked so hard for.

"All those opposed, please say no," Routhe said.

The center was almost silent, with just a few dissenting no's called out.

"I hereby announce Brad Newcomb as our presidential candidate," Routhe called out.

Brad stepped to the microphone, adrenalin pumping through his body. He shook Routhe's hand and then turned to address the crowd. "Thank you all for your support." He turned back to his family and stood with his arms around Carolyn and Emily. He would make his formal acceptance speech tomorrow. Today he could simply bask in the attention of the five thousand delegates, fifteen thousand media representatives, and an additional thirty thousand supporters gathered to pay him homage.

As he looked out into the sea of faces, he saw a group of his campaign staffers clustered near the stage. Amy was standing in the center of the group, and when he caught her eye, she blew him a kiss. A shudder of fear slithered through his body, eclipsing his previous elation.