Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Amy stood in front of her hotel window looking out at the Atlanta skyline. Night had fallen, and she watched as some lightning flashed in the distance. She hated thunderstorms and hoped that what she was seeing was not going to come any closer.

Brad and Carolyn were at dinner with the mayor, so unless she got a phone call from them, she was off the clock for the evening. Feeling a little lonely, she decided to call her best friend back in Chicago. She sat down at the hotel room desk and dialed the number.

"Hi, Tina, it's me."

"Hey, Amy. It's great to hear your voice. I miss you. Lunch isn't the same without you here. I don't have anyone else I trust enough to complain to about work."

Amy listened as her friend filled her in on all the latest gossip.

"So how are things on your end?" Tina asked. "Life in the fast lane and all."

"That's an understatement. It's not just regular fast; it's speed of sound fast. Every morning I have to check the itinerary just to double check where I am."

"So where are you anyway?"

Amy spun her chair around so she could look out the window again. "Atlanta for a few days. The governor and his wife are having dinner with the mayor, so I have the night off. Usually when he doesn't have a dinner scheduled, we have strategy meetings in the evenings."

"That makes for a long day."

"You're telling me. But I love it. I'm so excited to be a part of this. I've never been happier in my life. This job is a dream come true."

"That's a big change from when you were working here."

Amy laughed. "I know. I used to dread getting out of bed every morning. Now I'm up before the alarm goes off. Instead of just going through the motions, now every day is different. It's just so exciting to be in the middle of something this big.

"Must be nice to feel that way."

"It is. I mean, if the governor gets elected, I'll have been a part of history. When I think about that, it just blows my mind."

"So is Governor Dreamy as great in person as he seems?"

"Even better," Amy gushed, warming to the subject. "He's so smart, and he's got such a great vision. He's really serious about making a change and leading this country in a new and better direction. He's going to make a wonderful president."

"I've been keeping an eye on the polls, and it looks like he just might pull it off."

"I know Brad's going to win. He's so well qualified and personable. The longer we campaign, the more supporters he's going to win over. Our numbers are just going to keep going up."

"So it's Brad now, huh? Are you on a first name basis?"

Amy could hear the teasing in her friend's voice. "Yes, although when we're out in public, I call him governor. But, in private, he's very laid back with his staff. From the beginning, he told us all to call him Brad." Amy paused. "Unlike his wife."

There was a moment of silence.

"So what's the deal there?" Tina asked. "What's she like?"

Amy hesitated, wondering if she was sharing too much, but then jumped in, not able to stop herself. "Kind of standoffish, although she puts up a great front in public. I mean, she's beautiful and articulate and everyone fawns all over her. But the minute the cameras are turned off, she just kind of retreats into her own little world."

"Really? I never would have guessed it from watching her on TV."

"I'm telling you, it's all just an act. I can give you an example. Today I went with her to this luncheon. She worked the room like a pro and gave a great speech. Everybody loved her. Then as soon as we were out of there, we run into this woman and her corgi. When I saw Mrs. Newcomb interact with the dog, I realized it was her first genuine moment of the day. She even admitted to me that she'd rather be with her animals than her husband!"

"You're kidding. She really said that?"

"I swear. I couldn't believe it myself. To be married to Brad and love her dogs more than him. She obviously doesn't deserve him."

"And are you telling me that you do?" Tina asked.

Amy was genuinely shocked. "Tina! How could you even ask me that? I've told you that I'd never have an affair with a married man."

"But, if he wasn't married..."

"Well, of course I'd be interested. Who wouldn't be? He's perfect. I've never met anyone like him. But he is married, so there's no point in even thinking about it."