Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Brad leapt up from the bed, pushing Amy aside. "You're what?"

Amy rocked back on her knees, crossing her arms. "Please, don't be mad at me."

"You told me you were on the pill."

"I am. I don't know how this happened. I must have missed one or something. I swear, it was an accident."

Brad raised his hand, and it took every ounce of willpower he had not to slap her. Instead he picked up a pillow and threw it against the wall. "God, Amy, how could you have let this happen? Don't you realize what this would do to me if it got out?"

"It won't, I swear."

"Damn right it won't. You're getting an abortion."

Amy's eyes widened. "I can't." She clutched her stomach. "This is my baby. I would never kill an unborn child."

"You can't be serious. You can't really believe that you can have this baby."

Amy stood up, her hands clenched into fists. "I'm going to have our child, Brad. No one's going to stop me."

The candidate collapsed onto the bed, putting his head in his hands. "How could you do this to me?"

Amy sat down and put her arm around him. "I love you so much, Brad. And I love this baby - our baby. I understand you can't leave your wife right now, so I'll go back to Chicago. I'll have the baby there. No one will know he's yours until the time is right. After you're in office, you can leave Carolyn. We can be together."

Brad looked at Amy. Could she really be so naïve? Could she really think her little fairy-tale ending could ever happen? He took her hand. "Amy, I'm sorry for how I reacted. This just really threw me. But we're going to work it out. I just need a little time to get my head around it."

Amy threw her arms around him. "Oh, Brad, I knew you'd come around. I know this is bad timing, but God must have a plan for us. Sending us this baby is a sign that we're meant to be together."

"You're right," Brad said, choking on the words. "Just give me a few days to think this all through so we can come up with a plan."

He got up. "I should get back to my room."

Amy stood and put her arms around him. "Don't leave. I need you to stay with me tonight."

Brad looked down at her, repelled. He couldn't believe that this woman who meant nothing to him had the power to destroy everything he had worked for. He lifted her chin and kissed her. Using his anger as an aphrodisiac, he pushed her roughly onto the bed.

When they lay spent, Amy put her head on his chest. "Oh baby, I can't wait until we can be together as a family. I'm going to make you so happy."