Chapter 75

Chapter 75

Ryan and Michelle sat in their hotel room watching Brad's press conference. All the networks had interrupted their programming to cover it. Having a nominee resign days before the general election was an historical event. The candidate stood alone at his podium, no supportive wife or kids at his side.

Brad apologized to the country, admitting his affair with Amy and to fathering her unborn child. He said that the affair was brief and that he had ended it months ago. He insisted he was still very much in love with his wife, and that he hoped she would forgive him. He did not mention the possibility that Amy had been murdered, or that Terry might have had a role in her death.

He concluded his speech by saying that he still believed he was the strongest candidate for the president, and that he didn't feel his poor judgment on a personal matter should be considered relevant to his ability to run the country. But then he went on to say that he was a realist and that he didn't want to be responsible for the Democratic Party losing the election. When he finished his remarks, the media erupted in frenzy. The journalists jumped to their feet, shouting out questions. Brad held up his hands, thanked them, and turned away from the microphone, making a speedy exit from the stage.

Michelle turned to Ryan in disbelief. "What an ego."

Ryan shrugged. "I guess that's just who he is."

They turned back to the television, listening to the media analysts. It was clear to them that this was unchartered territory; no one knew what was going to happen next. Would the election proceed as planned, pretty much guaranteeing a Republican win? Or would the Democrats try to delay it so they could nominate another candidate and allow him some time to campaign? Nothing was certain except that everyone was going to be busy the next few days poring over election laws.

Ryan stood and walked to his laptop, opening the file containing the story he had written in anticipation of Brad's resignation. He read through it one last time before sending it to his editor. He was relieved that his brother had chosen to take himself out of the race, since he still wasn't sure whether he would have broken the story if Brad hadn't come clean.

As he turned to Michelle, there was a knock on the door. When Ryan went to answer it, a hotel employee handed him a FedEx package, the sender information showing a law firm in Chicago that Ryan had heard of, but didn't have a relationship with. He ripped the package open and pulled out the papers, skimmed the letter and then looked up at Michelle.

"It's from the attorney processing Terry's will. Apparently, Terry left a sealed letter that was to be given to me in the event of his death."

"What's that about?"

"I guess we'll see," Ryan answered, ripping open the envelope as he walked to the desk. He sat down and began to read.

Dear Ryan,

You know that I have always loved Brad as though he were my brother. You and I have that in common. And because of that, I know I can trust you to do the right thing with the information I share with you here.

If you are reading this, then I am dead. My death may have been accidental or it may have been by my own hand. As I write this, I know suicide is a possibility, as I am struggling with the consequences of my actions. I am also not naïve enough not to acknowledge that my death may have come at someone else's hands. For I am a loose end - the one person who could destroy Brad's political career.

I imagine you may already suspect what I am about to confirm. I killed Amy. Whether it was my idea or Brad's, I don't even remember now. I think we both came to the conclusion that she had to be eliminated for the sake of his campaign. We planned her murder to look like an assassination attempt so that it would not only get rid of her, but also push to the forefront Brad's gun control policy.

We viewed Amy as collateral damage, and at the time, I believed it was the right thing to do. I convinced myself that sacrificing her life was necessary for the greater good of the country. In the weeks since her death, I have come to the conclusion that I was horribly wrong. No one's political ambitions should be valued more than an innocent life.

I am truly sorry for my actions. I let my own aspirations cloud my judgment, and I made a terrible choice - one I will never forgive myself for. In light of my actions, I no longer trust myself to make the right decision -- whether to go to the authorities or not. And so I leave that to you. I apologize for putting this burden on you, but there's no one else I trust.

Terry

Ryan felt the blood drain from his face as he handed the letter to Michelle. All he could think of was that he held his brother's life in his hands. It wasn't merely Brad's career anymore. That was over. But Ryan knew that if he handed Terry's letter over to the FBI, Brad would be charged with murder. Could he do that to his own brother?

Trail of DestructionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara