Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A month had passed since Super Tuesday. Since the start of the campaign, Brad's staff had grown exponentially, and now included a media consultant, a political strategist, and several aides with expertise and connections in different parts of the country. But Brad's inner circle remained the same -- Terry, Amy and Ryan, with the obvious absence of Carolyn, who was still at home mending her broken leg.

It was this group that was gathered over dinner at an Italian restaurant. Brad had selected a nice bottle of wine - a sign that the dinner was more about a relaxing evening out than a strategy meeting. The waiter brought the bottle to the table and poured a small amount into Brad's glass. The candidate tasted it and nodded his approval.

When the waiter had filled all their glasses, Brad lifted his for a toast. "To you three. I don't thank you enough for all you do. But I know I couldn't be here without you. Cheers."

They clinked glasses and each took a sip. Brad set his glass on the table and cleared his throat. "So I'm just going to say a couple of things about the campaign and then the subject's closed for the evening."

He looked around the table. "We have three months until the convention. Unless something crazy happens, I'm going to get the nomination. Which means we have to start looking down the road. We'll continue to make appearances in the states that have upcoming primaries, but our focus has to be on November now. For the last several elections, the final vote between the Democratic and Republican candidates has been neck and neck. I want to change that. I want to be the candidate the clear majority of the country supports."

He took a sip of wine before continuing. "The Republicans' hands are tied. They're going to nominate the vice-president. And I just don't think he's got the personality to rally the country around him. Which means it's our election to lose. We can do this."

He paused, looking around the table. Terry was nodding his head emphatically. Amy's eyes were lit up like candles, and she wore a wide smile on her face. Brad could see that even Ryan, usually the objective one, was drinking the Kool-Aid.

Brad continued. "I couldn't have gotten this far without each of you. And I'm going to need you even more down the final stretch."

"I'm not going anywhere," Terry said. "Not until I escort you to the White House on inauguration day."

"Me, too," Amy piped in. "I'm here whenever you need me." Underneath the table, Brad felt her bare foot rub up and down his leg, making a brief but emphatic statement at his crotch.

Brad winked at her. "I knew I could count on you." He turned to Ryan. "How about you, bro? Are you going to make it to the end?"

Ryan looked around the table. "You all know this assignment was not something I asked for. And it's been really hard for me to be away from Michelle all these months." He paused, meeting Brad's eyes. "But I can honestly say that I'm glad I'm here. I believe in what you stand for, and I'm proud to be part of the team that's going to get you elected."

Ryan raised his wine glass. "To the next president of the United States."

Brad leaned across the table and clinked his glass with Ryan's. "Thanks, bro. That means a lot to me."

For the rest of the meal, the topics ranged from sports to movies to books - anything and everything except politics. After they finished eating, Brad signaled for the check. "I was thinking about renting a movie in my hotel room tonight. Anyone want to join me?"

Terry shook his head. "I've got work to do tonight."

"Me, too," Ryan said. "I haven't finished my story yet."

Brad looked at Amy. "I guess that leaves you. How about it?"

"I'd love to watch a movie - as long as I get to pick. Nothing with aliens or car chases."

"It's a deal," Brad said. "Your choice, as long as it's not too sappy."

Ryan smiled. "I bet Amy loves a good sappy movie."

Amy shrugged. "I do. I admit it. I'm a sucker for a good love story."

"I thought you might be the romantic type," Ryan said. "In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd think you had a little crush on my big brother here."

Amy's eyes widened.

"That's not funny, Ryan," Brad said, his jaw tightening. "A joke like that could cost me the election."

Ryan raised his hand. "Lighten up. I was just teasing. Everyone knows you'd never cheat on Carolyn." He turned to Amy. "I'm sorry. It must be the wine talking."

"It's okay." Amy stood up. "I'm going to the ladies' room before we leave."

Ryan pushed his chair back. "I'll make a pit stop too."

As they left the table, Brad could hear Ryan apologizing to Amy again.

When they were out of earshot, Terry turned to Brad. "Any truth to that? I see how she looks at you, and I know things aren't so great on the home front."

The last thing Brad wanted was a lecture from Terry about the dangers of an affair. He shook his head. "I don't know if she has a thing for me or not. But I can tell you that even if she did, there's nothing going on between us." He squeezed Terry's shoulder. "You have my word on that."

May: Six Months to Go