Chapter 74

Chapter 74

Brad sat in the chair, his head in his hands, all his hopes and dreams smashed into tiny pieces.

Carolyn stood hovering over him. "What was that all about? Why did the FBI take your DNA?"

Brad was silent, gathering his thoughts. He knew the FBI was going to match his DNA to that of Amy's child. His affair and her pregnancy were going to be front page news. He couldn't hide the truth any longer. He stood up and put his hands on his wife's shoulders. "I'm sorry, Carolyn, but there's something I have to tell you."

He drew in a deep breath, struggling for the words, some excuse that would allow his wife to forgive him. "Remember how angry you were with me after the assassination attempt in Wisconsin, when I wouldn't leave the campaign to take a few days off with you?"

Carolyn nodded. "Yes."

"And then you flew home to be with the kids and you fell off your horse. And I was mad at you because I thought you were trying to avoid being on the campaign trail with me."

"Of course I remember all that, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"Please, just hear me out. We were both angry with each other. You have to admit it was a low point in our marriage. And then on top of that, with your broken leg, we were separated for a couple of months."

Carolyn put her hands on Brad's arms. "What are you trying to tell me?"

Brad looked deep into her eyes, willing her to understand. "I was alone and miserable without you and there was so much stress with the campaign. And Amy...well, she just kept coming on to me."

Carolyn jumped back, pushing Brad away. "Oh, my God, no. You slept with her?"

Brad stepped forward, trying to close the space between them. "I'm so sorry. It just happened. She meant nothing to me."

Carolyn held up her hands like a shield. "How long did this go on?"

"Only a few months."

"Oh, Brad, how could you? How could you do this to me, to us, to our family?"

"I know it was stupid. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I've never cheated on you before, and I swear to you I never will again."

Carolyn wrinkled her brow, looking puzzled. "I still don't understand what that has to do with the FBI taking your DNA."

Brad looked down, trying to come up with words to soften the blow, but his silver tongue failed him. "Amy got pregnant. I don't know how. She told me she was on birth control, but she must have been lying to me."

He watched his wife's face crumple. "You got her pregnant?"

The candidate's hands curled into fists. "And now I'm sure the FBI is trying to match my DNA with the fetus's. They think Terry had something to do with Amy getting killed, and they're trying to establish a motive. I can't believe they're doing this to me right before the election."

Carolyn gaped at him in disbelief. "You're telling me you had an affair, got this woman pregnant, and Terry might have killed her -- and all you care about is the election?"

"No, of course not. I love you. I don't want to lose you."

Brad reached out for his wife, but she slapped his hand away. "It's too late for that. This marriage is over. And whether the FBI matches your DNA to Amy's baby or not, I will go public with this. I'm not one of those weak political wives who stand by their husbands no matter what they do. I'm not going to condone your behavior."

Brad watched helplessly as Carolyn turned and ran from the room. When the door slammed behind her, he turned to the table where the celebratory champagne stood mocking him. He swept his hand across the table top, sending the bottle and glasses flying.

The hotel room door flew open and both Secret Service agents raced into the room, their guns drawn. "Is everything all right, sir?"

"Everything's fine. Just get the fuck out of here."

The agents holstered their weapons, their stoic faces masking their emotions. They left the room, but within minutes, Brad heard a knock on the door. He marched over and flung it open. "What the fuck do you want now?"

Ryan stood between the agents, an expression of shock on his face.

"This is not a good time, Ryan."

"I don't care, Brad. We need to talk."

"Fine, then. Come in. I can deal with this shit all at once." The candidate turned and walked back into the room, trailed by his brother. When he reached the now empty table, he spun around. "So what, did you run into Carolyn? Did she fill you in?"

"I passed her in the hall. She was crying, but she wouldn't tell me why. Does she know about you and Amy?"

Brad pounded his fist on the table. "Fuck! How do you know about Amy?"

"Emily told me. I had to hear about it from your own daughter." Ryan paused. "So does Carolyn know too?"

Brad sank into a chair. "Yes, I couldn't keep it from her any longer. Thanks to the fucking FBI."

Ryan stood, looking down at his brother. "What do they have to do with anything?"

"They showed up with a warrant for my DNA today. Right in front of Carolyn." Brad glanced up, seething with anger. "So now everything's out in the open. Is that why you came? You want an exclusive? You can write all about me and my lover and our bastard baby."

"So it's true then?" Ryan asked. "She was pregnant with your child?"

"Yes, and now everything is going to come out. I poured my soul into this campaign, and now it's all over, thanks to that stupid bitch."

Ryan stared at his brother. "So it was all her fault, right? You didn't have anything to do with it?"

Brad narrowed his eyes. "Oh please, spare me your holier than thou routine. I made a mistake. I admit it. I'm not the golden boy that you and Mom and Dad have always tried to make me into."

"Jesus, Brad. Now you're going to blame us?"

"I'm not fucking blaming anyone. If you want to put the whole mess on my shoulders, fine. But it was Amy who seduced me and lied to me."

Ryan sat down next to his brother, drawing his chair in so that their knees were touching. "And is that why she had to die? Did Terry kill her to protect you?"

Brad closed his eyes, gripping the chair's armrests. Whatever he said now was going to have to be his story from this point on. He might have lost the presidency, but he sure as hell was not going to go to prison.

He opened his eyes and looked straight into Ryan's. "I honestly don't know. Apparently that's what the FBI thinks and they may be right. But if they are, I swear to you, I didn't know anything about it. If Terry killed Amy, he did it on his own. I had nothing to do with it."

"I want to believe you, Brad, but you've been lying to me this whole time about your affair. How can I trust you now?"

"Because you're my brother. You know me. I admit I screwed up big time, but do you really think I could have anything to do with murdering an innocent woman?"