Chapter 35

Colin, Jennifer, and Evan walked to the hospital cafeteria. Evan was cheerful and was skipping the whole way there. He had no idea what was going on. He didn't realize that his mom just died. "Hey, are you okay? You can go home. I can take Evan back to your place," Jennifer whispered to Colin. "Are you sure?" Colin asked. "Yeah we can just take a cap," Jennifer nodded. "Okay, thank you," Colin left the hospital. "Where is daddy going?" Evan asked Jennifer. "He needs some time alone right now. Remember how I said he was upset?" Jennifer told him. "Okay," Evan said.

"What flavour do you want?" Jennifer asked carrying him so that he could look at all of the flavours. "I want chocolate," Evan said. "One chocolate please," Jennifer told the employee. The lady scooped the ice cream and handed it to Evan. Jennifer then gave her the money. "Thanks," Jennifer smiled. Jennifer and Evan sat down at an empty table. "Why is daddy sad?" Evan asked Jennifer. "Remember how you had to say goodbye to mommy?" Jennifer asked him. "Yes, I don't know why I had to do that," Evan said. "While you and your daddy won't be able to see her again. Same with Grandma and Grandpa. You Daddy and you grandparents are sad because they are going to miss your mommy," Jennifer tried her best to explain it to him. She knew that if Evan asked these questions to Colin, he would be more upset. "I am going to miss mommy too. Should I be upset?" Evan asked. "If you feel sad it's okay. It's okay to cry and be upset," Jennifer said. "It's like when daddy went to work and I didn't want him to leave. Mommy and I were sad. But mommy isn't coming back," Evan said the last part sadly. "Yes, Evan exactly like that. However, you will always remember mommy," Jennifer said. "I guess," Evan thought about what he was saying.

Jennifer knocked on Colin's door to drop Evan off. "Daddy!" Evan ran up to Colin and hugged him. "Hey buddy," Colin said cheerfully. "I had the best time with aunty Jen," he said. "That's great," Colin said. "I should get going now. Bye," she waved at Evan. "Why don't you stay? I can make us all lunch," Colin suggested. "Sounds good," Jennifer said. She could tell by the redness in Colin's eyes that he had been crying.

Evan went straight to his room to play with his toys leaving Jennifer and Colin alone. "How are you?" Jennifer asked him. "Fine, I guess," Colin shrugged. "What do you mean?" Jennifer asked. "I just had her back. I had her back in my arms. After we broke up I didn't really believe in love anymore. Then I saw Helen back in Ireland. I knew that Evan needed a stable family and a stable home. At first, it was all about what was best for him. Then I realized that I still loved her. I realized that maybe she is the best thing for me," Colin said. "Gosh, I was going to propose to her," Colin took out her wedding band. "I wish I asked her earlier," Colin said sadly. "Don't blame yourself. She knew the way you felt about her," Jennifer said. "Thanks, Jen, for everything," he hugged her.

"Now it's my turn," Jennifer said softly. "I wish Helen and I were better friends," Jennifer added. "What do you mean? You guys were best friends," Colin said confused. "We always said that, but were we really? The only thing we ever had in common was you. I always felt awkward talking to her. We both knew the way you kiss..." Jennifer tried off. "She sacrificed everything for us. She told us that we should be together. She made us face our feelings for each other. She didn't even care that she would get hurt in the process," Colin put his hand on top of hers. "She was a way better friend to me than I ever was to her," Jennifer continued.

Throughout the whole convocation, Jennifer didn't feel anything for Colin. Her feelings for him just disappeared. He belonged with Helen and now she was gone. Why did she ever get in the way of their marriage? Colin and she were supposed to only be friends. Why did they ever try and be anything more? It was such a stupid idea just like her feelings for Colin.

"I'm hungry Evan came running into the kitchen. "Lunch is almost ready," Colin was making grilled cheese sandwiches. Colin flipped the sandwich over to make sure both sides were golden. Then he put it on a plate and headed it to Evan. "I can make us something else if you want," Colin said. "No grilled cheese is fine," Jennifer smiled. "Where are Grandma and Grandpa?" Evan asked. "I think they need some time alone," Colin said. "Are they said too?" He asked. Evan looked at Jennifer, "Yes sweetie they are," Jennifer said. "Why can't we all just be happy?" He asked. "We all can't be happy all the time," Colin said. "Just like when you take away my toys when I am bad. I cry," Evan looked at Colin. "Sorta like that," Colin said.

After lunch, Evan showed her all of his lego he had built. He also showed her all of his figurines. He still had the duckling Jennifer had given him. He told her that it was his favourite toy. He had to have it with him every night. Jennifer played with his action figures with him. After about an hour she decided to see how Colin was doing.

Colin was digging through old photos. "Whatcha looking at?" Jennifer asked him."trying to find my old high school pictures," he replied. Jennifer picked up a pile of pictures and looked at them. They were all of Helen and Colin. They both looked so young. "You guys were so cute," Jennifer smiled at the picture. "People thought that we should have run for prom king and queen, but Helen didn't want that. She never liked any attention," Colin smiled. "She never liked to go to red carpet screening. I always had to force her," Colin and Jennifer chuckled. Jennifer and Colin spent the rest of the night looking at old photos. Jennifer noticed that Colin had a story to go along with each one. Helen and he really did have something special.

For dinner, Colin ordered them sushi. It was 9:00 already and Evan's bedtime was at 7. "Eat quickly Evan its time for bed," Colin said to him. "Okay," Evan said not protesting. "Can Auntie Jen read me a bedtime story?" Evan asked. "Sure honey," Jennifer smiled. After they had eaten dinner Evan got changed into his PJs and brushed his teeth. "What book do you want me to read?" Jennifer asked. "Hockey Heroes!" Evan said excitedly. "Okay," Jennifer smiled. "He loves hockey," Colin said. "I guess that is because he grew up in Vancouver," Jennifer giggled. Jennifer only got half way through the book when Evan fell asleep. She pulled the blankets to his chin and then closed the door gingerly.

"He really loves you," Colin said. "Yeah I guess," Jennifer smiled. "Thank you for tucking him in and for everything today," Colin hugged her. "No problem," Jennifer smiled and hugged him back. "See you soon," Colin said. "Call me anytime," Jennifer said. "I will," Colin said. Jennifer left his apartment and went into her next door. She put on her Pj's and got ready for bed. She tossed and turned as she tried to fall asleep. She then decided to read for a little bit. After what seemed like only a few minutes, she heard a knock on her door. She opened the door and Colin was standing there. "Everything okay?" Jennifer asked him. "Evan woke up and he said he had a bad dream. He won't fall asleep until you tuck him in again," Colin explained the situation.

"Hey, little guy what's wrong?" Jennifer asked him. "I had a bad dream," Evan said. "Do you want to tell me what it was about?" Jennifer asked. "No, it was really scary," Evan said shaking. "It's okay, lie down," Jennifer rubbed his back until he was fast asleep. "Thank you so much," Colin said. "No problem happy to help," Jennifer said. "You are so good with him," Colin said. "Yeah, I guess," Jennifer blushed. "Why are you up so late?" Colin asked her. "Couldn't go to sleep. I was reading, I must have lost track of time," Jennifer smiled. "How about you?" She asked him back. "Couldn't go to sleep either. Every time I close my eyes I can see her," Colin said. Jennifer hugged him and they stayed embraced in each other's arms for what seemed like a long time. 

Hope you liked the chapter. Please vote and comment.