Chapter Ten

The Beta wasted no time in closing the distance between them the moment he saw that she was awake, the bouquet of yellow, pink, and purple carnations that he had been carrying tossed and left forgotten on the chair that served as a pullout bed in the corner of the room.

"Mate?" the Monster almost sounded relieved at the sight of her conscious and well.

She felt her spine stiffen as she narrowed her gaze and glared at him down her nose, that spark of anger she had felt earlier expanding and taking root within the core of her being.

He had some goddamn nerve!

Debbie quickly rose from her seated position on the side of her bed and bowed her head, a soft greeting of, "Beta Ryder." given before she would silently busy herself with the IV bags she had deposited on her bedside table earlier and moved to replace the empty ones attached to her IV drip.

The redhead said not another word as she shuffled out the door once her duties were complete, but not without  one last meaningful glance directed towards her.

Grey eyes met with hazel, conveying their silent message.

Remember, play nice.

The green eyed beast actually had the gall to settle down next to her on the bed and carefully wrap an arm around her to keep her body nice and snuggled up to him, heedless to the evil eye she had cast upon him and with his nose buried within her hair at the top of her head.

Gross. 

Two weeks of a medically induced coma meant sponge baths, and this fool was sniffing her and softly groaning in the back of his throat.. didn't she have some sort of odor to turn him off?

"You smell so good, Mate.. I'm so happy you're awake." he mumbled against her head; she felt her upper lip cringe into a silent grimace as his lips pressed a gentle kiss to the area he had been inhaling her supposedly delectable scent.

Kiss me again, bastard! I'll cut your lips off and sew them to your anus!

Oh, how she wanted to snarl those words at him and give him a good slap.. but she was trying to be good and heed Debbie's words of wisdom..

Play nice..

It was almost as if she had that metaphorical shoulder angel, whispering those words in one ear.. 

He bit you! Give him hell!

While the little devil sat on the other shoulder with a cheshire's grin, listing off the various methods she could choose from to rain her wrath upon his flea ridden ass.

"Love? How do you feel? Are you in any pain? Do you need anything?" ever the doting mate, the Monster fired question after question, a little too eager to care for his injured female.

His injured female that he had put in the hospital.

Now, maybe it was the pain medication that was being administered through her IV.. or maybe it was her lack of fucks to give.. but the filter between her mouth and brain began to descend as she roughly tried to shove him away with her good arm.

Looks like the little devil won out this round.

"How in the bloody hell do you think I feel?! You sunk your disgusting teeth into my shoulder and fractured my collarbone, you fucking mutt!" she hissed as she leveled him with a ball shriveling glare.. only to immediately regret doing so when she boldly met his eyes in defiance.

No longer were they the soft shade of green meadows that they had originally been.

His pupils had dilated to take up most of the expanse of his gaze with his upper lip curled into a displeased snarl as he boldly leaned forward. "Watch your mouth, Mate. You will not speak to us in such a way with those filthy slurs."

He roughly grabbed her good arm and yanked her back to him, carelessly digging his claws into the flesh of her appendage in his fit of rage at her voiced displeasure about he and his mark. "Mate will love us, and have our pups. Mate will never leave." his voice darkened with the surfacing of his inner wild.

Holy fucking Willy Wonka!

She should of listened to Debbie.

Riona did not try to move away as she held his gaze, the sharp sting of his claws against her flesh had her slightly cringing in discomfort while a steady stream of blood began to travel down her arm and drip onto the pristine white sheets.

Either he noticed her uncomfortable flinch, or he finally began to smell the coppery scent of her blood.. but he finally released her with a silent look of horror at the bleeding puncture wounds he had caused.

"I.. I didn't mean.." his words tumbled from his lips like vomit as he audibly whimpered at the harm he had inflicted upon the once unmarred flesh of her arm, and as he looked to her to apologize.. he stopped, his facial expression shifting from guilty concern to one of cold indifference. 

She must of had a look of fearful disgust written all over her face for his personality to do a complete turn.. and frankly, she couldn't give a shit at this point.

"I'll have a nurse take care of that while I go fill out your discharge papers. We're going home, and I'll chain you to our bed if I have to. You're mine, and you're not going anywhere, Mate." and with that, he removed himself from her bed and made his way out the door.

The moment he stepped out of the threshold she released a breath she didn't realize she had been holding. 

"Goddamn." she whispered to herself as she let her gaze linger on the five oozing wounds.

She really wished she would've jumped.