Chapter Six

She hadn't been too ecstatic when Boss had posted the names of those who had a day off during the week, but when she saw her name listed as one of the lucky few she had just about squealed in excitement.

She had the day off!

That's right!

Now the entire day was her's to do as she pleased!

Well, at least that was what she had initially thought when she had rolled out of bed that afternoon, nice and refreshed from sleeping in late.. until she set her sights on the filth that invaded her home; the floors were dirty, the kitchen definitely needed cleaning, the bathroom required a nice scrub down, and there was a hefty pile of laundry that needed washing.

 Riona groaned as she surveyed the disaster zone of her home; hair wild and untamed from sleep made her a sight to behold after first waking up.

With a look of defeat, she would trudge her way into the bathroom to execute her usual ritual, comb out her hair, tie it back and out of the way, brush her teeth, utilize the facilities.. the only step she skipped this time was getting dressed.

It wasn't like she was going anywhere today, so she opted to remain in her nightclothes while she used up her afternoon to clean the cottage. After all, Coraline had gone off on an overnight school excursion to the Pack Sector, where they were to tour the lifestyle and culture of their overlords firsthand.. which meant Riona had the entire place to herself.. and nobody to help her with the chores.

Once her ritual was finished, she would mosey about her home in search of the one item that could make her oncoming work bearable; after tearing through her closet, and then Corrie's room, she finally found the blessing she had been searching for.

An old, blue and grey boombox with a built-in CD player.

She smiled fondly at the old electronic device that had once belonged to her father. Every weekend when he would be doing his chores, whether they be inside or out, he would have his boombox near him with one of his rock discs playing so that he could sing and dance while he worked. 

A habit that his two daughters now enjoyed.

With the device now in hand, she would move into the kitchen to plug it in, the CD case that housed all of her father's old CD's already placed on the counter, ready to be used. Once the setup was complete, she would shuffled around the home to open the windows and the backdoor in the kitchen that led to the clothesline and washbasin behind the house before she would gather the homemade cleaning supplies from under the kitchen sink and set them out along the aged kitchen table.

Now that preparations were complete, she was ready to begin.

Riona stood before the boombox with a serious look and a mop in hand as her finger hovered over the 'play' button.

"Prepare to be.. annihilated!" she declared to the filth in her home with a large grin as the tunes of AC/DC began to flow from the speakers and fill her small home with age old memories of the golden days.

With that, the scrub down began.

It had taken a little less than three hours to overthrow the grime that had slithered its way into the cottage; floors mopped, bathroom and kitchen cleaned, and now all that was left was the pile of laundry that she now scrubbed in the old washbasin as she sang and danced along to the Warrant song that was currently playing from within her kitchen.

She's my Cherry Pie,

Cool drink of water,

Such a sweet surprise!

Tastes so good,

Make a grown man cry!

Sweet Cherry Pie!

With the last of the linen cleaned and placed in the wicker basket to be draped over the clothesline, she would make her way over to the line that was tied from her house to a tree with a twist and sway in her hips, the lyrics flowing easily from her lips.

Well, swingin' on the front porch,

Swingin' on the lawn,

Swingin' where we want because there ain't nobody home!

Her hips continued to dip from side to side as she clipped the laundry along the line, an easygoing grin on her face.

She's my Cherry Pie,

Put a smile on your face ten miles wide!

After the last of the linen had been hung, she would twist her body in a spin, her lips sounding off a few more lyrics.

Looks so good,

Bring a tear to your eye,

Sweet Cherry Pie!

Though everything seemed to freeze the moment she spun and faced the backdoor to her home.. because standing in her doorway was the massive, hulking frame of the Beta she had helped a few days prior, and with bright, golden eyes, he looked hungry.

And that look was all on her.

She witnessed him visibly sniff the air, the gluttony in his eyes increasing to an all new level.. and with a step towards her direction-his posture much like that of a predator-his deep tenor would reach her ears, his words sending chills down her spine and a sense of foreboding curling in the pit of her stomach. 

"Mine."