Twenty

"Thank you for having me. I'm so glad you changed your mind."

"Yeah, no problem. I don't know much, but I'l tell you everything that I know." Okay, so that was a lie. I wasn't going to tell this detective everything I knew, because telling him everything I knew required me telling him about the man I had lost my heart to. And even tho, I had my mind set on letting go, I wanted to keep that little piece of happiness I had once felt to my own self. Besides, it's not like he needed to know.

"I'm sure that any piece of information that you can share with me will be of great help. I'm all ears." I looked up from my lap at the young man sitting across from me staring at me with hungry wide eyes. A note pad  in hands.

"Okay, well. I mean I don't know where to start."

"Just start from the beginning. Where you came into all  of this."

I looked back down at my lap. If I did, I know it would hurt. To remember all those happy times I once had. And the dark ones as well. Especially those. "I went to this party. And that's when we met them." Wait, no. I couldn't do this.

I wouldn't.

"Them?" He cocked an eyebrow inching closer with eagerness.

"Yeah, my friends. we met at this really nice place and um, it's in the city. A really nice pent house. And there was this woman. Blonde and beautiful. I think her name was, um, Scarlett...I think.  Yeah, and she was with this other guy, blonde also. I think they were related, they looked very similar. Anyways, she was there and she was giving out the cocaine. But that was the only time I've ever seen her.  I met her through Nate, and well  I was very close to Nate. And I love Nate but he did a lot of drugs. He ended up messing with the wrong people, and well I guess he owed that blonde woman money and it ended badly for him." I hated every word that came out of my mouth. Some parts were true, some parts were rotten lies. I think the most hurtful parts were the real ones.

"That's it? You sure there's nothing else?" He was practically on the edge of his seat.

Here I go. The reason I decided to do this."There is one more thing I need to tell you. The reason, why I decided to tell you all of this." I swallowed hard as I looked up from under thick dark lashes.

"And thats is?"

"That woman...Scarlett. I think-I think she's after me. I know it may sound crazy, but yesterday I was followed home from school. And I know it was her. It had to be. And now I'm terrified for my life.  Please help me." I added pathetically.

When he didn't say anything, I looked up and realized that he was staring at me with a look I could never decipher. I narrowed my eyes at him trying to decipher him. Men had always been easy to read for me, but for some reason I could not read this man. He just looked at me with blank brown eyes as he slipped his notepad in his leather jacket.

"Is this true?" Was all he said as he stood up.

"Why would I lie?" I replied with a hint of anger.

And then it happened. I figured it out. I read him. It was that steel look he gave me that did it for me.

He didn't believe me.

He was skeptic of my story.

I had to make him believe me. I had to.

"I just have one question for you Miss Gray?" His voice was astute and full of authority.

"And that is?"

"Why would this Scarlett woman follow you? What could she possibly want with you? You know what I think Miss Gray? I think you're lying. There's something that doesn't make sense about your story. You're leaving something out, something involving you. And until you tell me that, there's nothing I can do. I'm leaving, thank you for your time." He then made his way towards the door, but stopped before opening the door to turn to look at me over his shoulder.

"Call me back when you decide to tell me the truth. Have a good one, miss Gray."

And then he opened the door and took a step forward.

But I wouldn't let it end like this. That woman and her people had killed Nate. God dammit, that woman knew where I lived. She could show up any minute and kill me.

"Wait!" I screamed out after him.

"Yes?" He stopped and looked at me over his shoulder. His brown eyes had that same hungry look from before. What an astute man. He reminded me very much of another man I did not want to remember.

"You're right, I'm hiding something...I was doing it to protect someone."

He turns around and closes the door softly behind him taking his note pad and pen out.

"And who would that be?"

"A man I had an affair with."

His eyes grew wide at this, I could tell he was not expecting this of all things. "Go on." He said gathering his composure and sitting down in the same seat as before.

There were some things I wouldn't be able to keep from this man.  I would just have to be twice as astute as him. If not more...

***

I know it's short, but I wanted to stop here for a reason. I'll update soon! Thanks.