//Chapter Twenty One: The Test//

Rylie's POV:

I broke down in sobs as the van started moving. Tyler was driving, Jenna was in the passenger seat, and I was in the back. Tyler had done his best to calm me down, and explain the situation. They had been on tour when I texted Jenna for help. Josh got his cousin Kevin, aka Dave, to infiltrate my mothers organization. The bag of "money"was full of explosives that were detonated as we pulled off. Josh was supposed to be in the van with me. He was supposed to be okay. He was supposed to be alive. After I watched him fall to the ground, I heard Tyler yell something to Kevin, but I was too disoriented to tell what was said. Apparently, Kevin stayed behind to a) make sure my mother was dead and b) retrieve Josh's body. I feel numb, like when I watched Josh's body fall limp, my heart went with him.  Tyler and Jenna looked heart broken too. Jenna fell asleep a few minutes ago, and Tyler was doing his best to hide his pain, and keep his eyes on the road.

I pulled my knees to my chest and started to rock myself back and forth. All of this is my fault. If I had been smart enough not to listen to Tyler, or even smart enough to have looked out the window before I opened the door, none of this would have happened. Instead, Josh is dead, and everybody is broken. A cellphone broke our depressed silence. Tyler answered it.

"Yea? -she's dead?- good.-meet you there-yea, me too. Okay bye" I only heard his end of the phone call.

"My mother is dead?" I asked. He nodded his head.

"Yes, she's gone. Kevin wants us to meet him at the hospital" he said.

"Why? Is he hurt?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, it's about Josh" he said. What? Josh is dead. I watched him die. I shook my head in disbelief.

"He wouldn't tell me why, so don't get your hopes up. It could be for signatures on his death certificate" Tyler said harshly. I felt my eyes fill with tears and Tyler's expression softened.

"Hey, don't cry. I'm not an optimistic person. None of this is your fault. Maybe Josh is fine!" he said. I continued to sob.

Kevin's POV:

I walked up to the now pile of wood that used to be the cabin. Rylie's mother laid buried in the pile, and I felt for a pulse. Nothing. To be on the safe side I fired a round into her head. Good. That bitch killed my cousin. I think I'm in shock because a part of me believes he's alive. I've looked for a pulse twice and haven't found one. I want to-need to- check one more time. Then I'll be sure. I walked over to my cousin, and placed my first two fingers on his neck. At first I thought I was imagining it, but when it didn't go away, I knew it. Josh is alive. Panicking, I wrapped my shirt into a tight ball, and applied pressure to his chest cavity to stop the bleeding. Why the hell didn't I do this sooner?! I secured the cloth, and wrapped him in a blanket. I placed him in the backseat of my car, and sped to the hospital. I called Tyler, but didn't tell him the good news, seeing as it could easily change. Poor Rylie had been through enough, and I figured it's best to not get her hopes up.

I threw the car in park, collected Josh in my arms, and raced into the hospital.

"I need help! My cousin has been shot! Somebody help me!" I screamed. Three nurses sped towards me with a gurney, and I laid Josh on it.

"Major blood loss, but I got a pulse! Are you family? We need to operate but need a signature" one asked.

"Yes, I'm his cousin, just please save him!" I cried. They nodded and sped towards the operation wing. I started bawling, and the situation suddenly became very apparent to me. A lady led me to the waiting room, and sat me down. A few minutes later, Rylie, Jenna, and Tyler came into the waiting room. Jenna was bawling, Tyler looked frantic, and Rylie looked stuck in a daze. Tyler motioned for the girls to sit, and led me outside.

"So.... What's happening?" He asked with hopeful eyes.

"I was finishing my check, and wanted to check for a pulse one more time... I found one, but it was weak. As soon as I knew he was alive, I raced him here. He's in surgery now" I said. His face lit up with hope.

"So he might make it?" He asked. I sighed.

"They're trying bud, they're trying" I said. He nodded, and we walked back into the waiting room. He updated Jenna, and tried to talk to Rylie, but she was too far spaced out. Nobody could get her attention. Oh god Josh, if you live through this, you better keep this one. She really cares.

----------------------------------------
So the many plot twists that have occurred, and will continue to happen, may confuse some, so feel free to ask questions! Let me know what you think! Thanks for 800 reads!

-Thejudgesetyoufree