// Chapter Two: A New Friend//

Rylie's POV:

Thump. Thump. Thump. It was only a half hour into the flight. From take off I knew the little boy behind me was going to make this flight more miserable than it already was. I tried to drown out his constant chatter with my headphones, but his little voice still managed to bleed through the music. After his mother had fallen asleep, the boy got bored and started kicking my seat. Each kick made pain shoot up and down my body. The boy with electric blue hair, and the boy with brown hair, were seated to my left. They had a small, playful argument over who got the window seat; the brown-haired boy had won. Defeated, the blue-haired boy plugged in headphones and closed his eyes, his friend doing the same. When the little boy resorted to kicking my seat, I could tell the blue-haired boy was just as annoyed as I was.

BAM!!

The little boy kicked my seat so hard that I flinched. I hoped that the guy next to me didn't see it, and I fled to the bathroom. I closed and locked the door and pulled off my hoodie. I examined my bruises in the mirror, each a darker shade of blue, purple, and even black. The outlines of my mother's knuckles and shoes were clearly visible. I've had some bad injuries from her fits of rage, but never this bad. I sighed, pulled my hoodie over my head,unlatched the door, and made my way back to my seat.

Josh's POV:

Tyler and I had been in Montana playing our final shows of the tour. It had been a rough couple of months on the road, and we were ready to go home. When we arrived at the airport in Montana, immediately one girl stood out to me. She had blonde hair, dark chocolate eyes, and was completely alone. It seemed as though she was the only person wearing sweat pants and a sweatshirt, it was ninety degrees after all. I couldn't tell if she was alone or not until she sat down in a corner, scrolling through her phone.

" Hello? Earth to josh....anybody home?" Tyler said.

" Sorry man, guess I zoned out again."

" Dude, you've been staring at the chick in the corner for the last ten minutes!"

"Have not!" I blushed. Something about this girl was mesmerizing.

"Whatever man, just pick a drink already" Tyler replied.

I picked up a red bull and headed for the table Tyler had chosen. After our flight was called, and we boarded the plane. I was happy to find that our seats were by the mystery girl. After a half-hearted fight with Tyler, I sat down next to the mystery girl, plugged my headphones in, and tried to fall asleep to the music. After thirty minutes had passed, I was woken by the kid behind me kicking mystery girl's seat. She looked almost hurt when the boy kicked her seat. "Why doesn't she just say anything to the boy?" I thought to myself. When the boy kicked her seat the hardest, she flinched. Her face turned bright red and I could tell she hoped I didn't notice. It was so obvious it hurt her, that even Tyler noticed. She got up and went into the airplane's restroom, her sweatshirt was not covering her back all of the way, and the bruises were obvious. My music was interrupted by messages:

T: You saw that too, right?

j: Yea, her back is practically black...no wonder she flinched when that kid kicked her seat... I wonder why she doesn't just ask him to stop.

T: I wanna know who hurt her so badly..... The bruises would explain why is she wearing sweats when it's a million degrees outside.

J: I'm gonna tell the boy to knock it off... should I ask her if she is okay? She's traveling alone and looks scared.

T: I'm not sure dog breath, you can ask her of you want, just try not to turn into a tomato.

J: Thanks for the advice BABY BOY!

T: Whatever, I'm going to sleep. Try not to drool on her.

Rylie's POV:

When I returned to my seat from the bathroom, the little boy sat in his seat, frozen. I gave a sideways glance to the guy next to me. He just nodded and gave me a weird look.

" Josh Dun" he said offering his hand.

"I-I'm Rylie" I forced out, shaking his hand.

" The kid should give you no more trouble.... we had a heart to heart, didn't we buddy?" he smiled

The little boy looked at him with big eyes, and nodded.

"Good choice" he said.

"Thank you for that" I squeaked out after a few minutes had passed.

"Not a problem at all. I do have one question for you though, are you okay? I saw you flinch and when you got up I saw the bruises and I was just wondering..." he trailed off

My face turned bright red. I had tried so hard to keep the bruises hidden. He had seen right through it. I couldn't handle his pity. I quickly looked away, and tried to hold back tears.

" Yes, I'm fine thank you, I'm really tired so I'm going to try to sleep." I replied

He gave me a worried glance and nodded his head. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking at me, trying to read the situation.

"You can lay on your head on my shoulder if you want to, I won't mind" he said

I gladly took his offer, laid my head on his shoulder, and closed my eyes. Having a shoulder to cry on felt amazing. Having one friend in this world felt even better. Within minutes, I was lulled to sleep by Josh's humming, and the occasional bouncing of the plane.

"He doesn't really care. You're worthless and don't you forget it. Watch, he'll leave you as soon as you land, and he won't ever talk to you again!" my mother's voice hissed in my head.

Please, not now, I just want to sleep in peace. Get out of my head, mother.

"Oh sweetheart, I'm NEVER leaving you alone." she hissed again