//Chapter 6: Drown//

Rylie's POV:

       Run. I must keep running. I can escape it, I just need to keep running. The shadowy figure was catching up. I tripped on the uneven sidewalk, scrapping my hands on the concrete. 

"You can't escape me dear" it says.

        I get up and try to run, but the shadow grabs my throat and all of the memories come flooding back. I try to scream but no voice comes out. The shadow looks like my mother. She winds up her fist and swings...

        I wake up in a panic, out of breath, with tear- stained cheeks. I hear soft snoring and turn to my right, only to find Josh asleep in the chair next to my bed. Arms folded across his chest, head to one side, and bags under his eyes. He looks cute when he sleeps. I look to my left, only to see Tyler sprawled out on the pull-out bed. I smile to myself. How did they get here? Did they really care? I hear Josh  slightly shift in the chair, and the snoring stops. 

"Hey Joshy", I whisper. He bolts up, and grabs my hand, chills shooting up my arms.

"Hey Ry, how do you feel?" he responds quickly.

"Just peachy" I say, earning a slight chuckle from him.

"Ry, I am so sorry that I lost you and that you got hurt. I never imagined that the Clique would grow to where it's at now. I'm so terribly sorry." he says, tears and worry cloud his eyes.

" I'm okay Joshy, really." I reply smiling.

       He smiles back at me and gives me a hug, being careful not to hurt me. I could stay in his arms for days. His scent, his kindness, and his happiness are intoxicating. We stay up for a few more hours, telling stories and sharing hobbies, until I feel my eyelids get heavy. Just before I get lost in sleep, I feel him kiss my cheek and say," Goodnight Rylie, I love you".

Josh's POV:

    I wake up the next morning to Tyler and Rylie trying to whisper, but failing. Rylie says something that I don't quite catch, and the next thing I know, Tyler laughs really loud and snorts. Rylie laughs at his outburst, which causes them both to laugh harder. I open my eyes to find Tyler on the ground laughing, with tears in his eyes.

" I know you guys are like hilarious and all, but one of us is trying to sleep" I say.

"Well that one of us should get up and stop snoring" Tyler retorts.

"I do not snore Tyler... help me out Ry!" I reply.

"Uhh Josh, you do snore just a little bit" she laughs.

"HA! See I told ya!" Tyler exclaims.

His phone rings and he excuses himself from the room. If I had to guess, it's probably Jenna. I look over at Rylie. Her face is still bruised, but looks better and she is playing with her hands. I can't help but wonder why she lied to Tyler and I. If I'm ever going to ask, it might as well be right now.

"Hey Ry?" I start. She looks up at me, our eyes locking.

"The doctor told Tyler and I that you are unemployed and that you live in Montana... Why did you lie to us?" I ask. I don't mean to pry, but I have to know.

She looks at me terrified, and breaks our gaze. Tyler enters the room with a smile, but senses the tension and sits down, his smile long gone. Rylie's eyes fill with tears as she tries to talk. 

"M-m-my dad left my m-mom and I and my mom b-blames me for everything. S-she gets drunk and beats me. Not all of the bruises are from your fans. A few days ago, I had enough, packed my things, and bought a ticket to Columbus." she whispered.

"Rylie, I am so sorry. I had no idea. Your mom is an idiot for hurting such a great girl like you. I'm sorry that I pried." I said softly.

" We are here for you now. Anything that you need, anything at all, we'll be there. You're family now, okay?" Tyler asked.

Rylie smiled. Man, she had a beautiful smile. She nodded her head, and wiped her tears with her hands. After that, we left the conversation alone. Tyler informed us that Rylie could leave tomorrow, and that Jenna would be picking us up. He left to find us all some food, and Rylie fell asleep. I couldn't help but wonder why anybody would want to hurt her. I have only known her for a few days, but it feels like I've known her my whole life. I can't help but to hate her mom for hurting her. I want, need, to protect her. Maybe I love her.