"Blood tastes like copper." Dallon commented, looking up at the ceiling. "How do you stand...stand only tasting copper?" His breathing was jagged with his words.

Brendon felt panicked watching Dallon's fading color. He looked down at the knife, deciding in a second to pull Dallon's hands away from the weapon. The taller boy's shakey hands instead found themselves around Brendon's wrist.

Brendon fought back the hunger that came with the scent of Dallon's blood. His concern far outweighed his need to feed.

"A-am I gunna die?" Dallon asked, most of his breathing now coming through his nose. It was still in bad shape, coming in unrhythmic spurts.

"No! No, Dallon, you'll be okay..." Brendon lied through his teeth. He knew Dallon had hit an artery with his blade. He only had minutes left... Unless...

"B-Brend-don I don't wanna d-die." Dallon's head shook slightly, "P-p-please..."

"It's a curse." Brendon said, tears forming in his eyes as he looked down at the human in his arms. This human that he had grown so attached to from the first time he heard his heartbeat... "You'll never die."

Dallon smiled weakly, not even focusing on Brendon. "Then... Th-then I'll l-live with you ra-ather than die without yo-ou..."

Dallon's eyelids began to grow heavy. It hurt to keep breathing. It would be so much easier to stop... Before he could, however, he felt Brendon's lips push against his. Brendon kissed him for an instant before using his tongue to force Dallon's mouth open.

Brendon pushed the blood that he had sucked from his own arm into Dallon's mouth, making the human cough slightly against his lips. Brendon pulled away, looking over Dallon's face again.

Dallon now had his eyes scrunched tightly and his lips curled in a slight disgust. Brendon laughed sadly.

"For me, it was liver." Brendon said lowly, "Liver before it became a sweet dessert that my mother used to make for special occasions... It tastes like your least favorite thing before the best..."

Dallon's expression relaxed as Brendon spoke, but his eyes remained closed. Brendon hoped Dallon would accept the venom. He was borderline on the verge of praying to a god he didn't believe in. He just needed a small sign.

A full body shiver ran through Dallon before he stilled. He was completely frozen in place. Brendon felt his heart sink slightly.

"C'mon... Fake ID, I know you're strong enough..." Brendon felt like breaking down where he was sat, holding the long human. He wasn't ready to let Dallon go. Especially not with the possibility of loosing Ryan as well. "Don't you go..."

Suddenly, Dallon's eyes shot open. He gasped in a breath of air as his hands tightened their grip on Brendon's arm. Dallon's eyes were new. The same in color, but different in function. He opened his mouth with a moan of pain as his fangs slowly poked their way out of his skull.

Brendon could only soothe him as the process proceeded. The initial change was going to be painful but, if Dallon could survive it, there was a good chance that he would make it.

"I'm sorry, baby..." Brendon whispered, stroking Dallon's hair with the hand that wasn't in his death grip. "It'll be over soon..."

Dallon only cried out in agony in response. His pupils were growing in size, leaving only a small ring of blue. He felt himself growing cold... But it was unlike any cold he had ever felt. It was a burning cold. It pierced his veins like small needles, all at once.

Brendon could only watch his human transform. He knew the agony. He had hoped Dallon would never have to go through with it, but it was a stupid hope to have.

He had grown too attached to the mortal creature. Dallon was different. Pete always hated Brendon, but stayed with him for companionship. Pete had recently started to turn around, but Dallon seemed to actually take interest in Brendon. Dallon had the exact opposite of Pete... Although, it made Brendon fear what he would be like after turning. He wouldn't be able to stand it if Dallon rejected him... Or the venom...

"It burns..." Dallon gasped, "Brendon it burns, it burns..."

"I know, Dallon, I know..." Brendon tried to soothe, holding him close. "I'm so sorry..."

"How long?!" Dallon cried out, starting at a loud yell before quickly falling into soft sobs.

"It's always different." Brendon said, fighting back tears from watching Dallon in agony. "I can't say how long, but I'll stay with you. Until your heart beats for the last time, and until it beats again."

Dallon's eyes were shut tightly, as he shook in Brendon's arms. He could barely register the creatures words through the pain. Everything, everywhere was in pain. Dying was less painful.

Although, dying was what he was doing. The only difference between the original death and this one was that he got a bonus life coming after. He just had to live through the venom taking over.

"The pain will fade." Brendon spoke soothingly, stroking Dallon's hair. "You'll loose your senses, but wake up with them new. You'll die, but the venom will keep your brain alive long enough to restart your unbeating heart..." Brendon shut his eyes tightly, remembering the taunting manor that those words had been laughed at him as he cried on the ground. He died surrounded by vampires that only wanted a new, blood thirsty toy to sick on the townspeople.

He didn't want that for Dallon.

He wanted Dallon to wake up, remembering who he was. Not trained like some kind of fighting dog. He wouldn't let that happen.

"As soon as it stops, I'll take you back to the nest to wake up." Brendon whispered, a small tear somehow finding its way through Brendon's closed eye. "At least you'll wake up around familiarity..."

"Don't leave me." Dallon begged through his pain, "I lo...please..."

"I won't." Brendon promised, opening his eyes in just enough time to watch Dallon take his last living breath. Dallon then went limp and still in Brendon's arms.

Brendon stood, holding Dallon close to his chest. The height difference made it a bit awkward, but Brendon didn't care. He was going to take Dallon back to the nest and keep his promise to stay by Dallon's side.