37: No More Going Left

Ebony

I laid as still as possible with Nikko breathing lightly right next to me. Out of all the times we've slept together he's never held me. We might have slept closely but now I was wrapped in his arms. My heart wouldn't stop skipping beats. The whole night i'd tossed and turned. The fact that Nikko stood up for me last night, then this? What did it all mean for us?

My mind was set on active mode and i couldn't stop thinking about everything. I wanted to think, maybe Nikko was growing to like me but I also didn't want to get my hopes up. Most of all I wanted to call Kennedy back because i needed her but i was too afraid to. What she'd said to me really hurt my feelings. Even in her screwed up state i didn't think she'd ever say something that cruel. Her words hurt more than if i'd been slapped in the face. I still want to call her back though, in hopes that maybe she's doing better and wants to talk things out. As for Kollins, I had a really bad feeling that he was somehow involved in this turf war Michigan had talked about.

It was ironic how he'd come back in town at the same time Poochie was killed. If Kollins had been involved... my thoughts halted as I stared at Nikko's sleeping face. I recalled every moment where Kollins and Nikko were even near each other. Even though Nikko knew he was my brother, he still wanted to kill him. So if Kollins knew the people who did this, or played a part, I'd be alone in this world. I'd no longer have any of the family i'd come into this world knowing. It was a thought that started sinking me into a funk when all of a sudden the baby started moving around. I looked down, not realizing how close Nikko and i were and slightly rubbed my forehead against his. Nikko's soft breathing hitched in his throat and i looked up from my belly to see him starring at me.

"What are you doing," Nikko ask's groggily. He was never in a great mood when he woke up, but seeing him look so out of it made me want to smile every time. Usually his face is blank or stiff or even in a scowl or evil grin, but not often did he look innocent, loopy, or joyful. His eyes are even more amazing when he's in a hazy state. They tend to shine in the few moments that Nikko wasn't his usual business minded self.

"Well good morning," I spoke sarcastically, not wanting him to know that I've been up worrying. Usually i could do so in my own room, but Mitchy and her Grandmother would be staying in there while the family was here.

"Not really since your snoring was louder than usual," Nikko, groaned removing his arms from me to stretch them. My cheeks went hot with embarrassment. I knew i looked like a deer in headlights but damn, did i really snore? Nikko's face went from drowsy to entertained in ten seconds. An evil smirk spread across his lips and I instantly knew he'd said that to mess with me.

His chuckle spread through the room making me glare at him. If i wasn't so pregnant and fat, I would have rolled out of the bed and left him there, but all I could do was pout. "Okay, okay," he said, ceasing his laughter. "I'm just joking," he finished.

"Ugh, it's too early for jokes. Besides you nearly killed me with your morning breath," i spoke sadly, as if I hadn't just insulted him. He blinked twice after his grin dropped, but it quickly returned. That grin always meant he had some smart ass comment up his sleeve. Him and his damn slick comeback's kept me on my toes.

"Morning breath, huh? So if i kissed you, right now, how bad would that be," he asked? His tone was mocking but at the same time it sounded like he was making an attempt to flirt. The way he said it tripped me up for a second but I wouldn't let him get the last word. This damn man knew he was irresistible, but damn it if i'm not prideful. "Well, since it would be like swallowing toxic gas, very bad," I spoke in the same mocking tone. He chuckled and nodded, before looking up and entrapping me in his shimmering gaze. It caught me off guard when he wrapped his arms around my waist and held me so I couldn't move away. I placed a leg over his waist and our bodies entangled before we began kissing. Our tongues swayed together before i caught his bottom lip in my teeth and tugged softly.