12- Anticipation

By the time Frisk reached Mettaton's hotel, her legs were aching and she was eager to lie down in a comfortable bed. Even if she couldn't sleep, she could still rest her legs, and her head, which was throbbing from Chara's constant onslaught.

When she opened the door to the hotel to find Mettaton on the other side, just about to leave, she jumped backwards as if getting out of the way fast enough would stop him from seeing her.

He smoothly extended an arm to brace the door, holding it open. "Hello, darling! So nice to see you again."

"Uh.. yes," Frisk fumbled, smiling nervously. She was weighing the odds of him trying to attack her and take her soul right then and there, and whether it was worth it to try and run the other way. He had transferred to his EX form, which probably did not bode well for her if it came down to running.

"Why the shocked look?" Mettaton asked innocently, then smiled devilishly. "Oh, yes. This must be your first time seeing my new body. You missed the unveiling party too- what a shame." He paused, then added, "So, how do you like it?"

"It's great, really," Frisk said more earnestly, nervousness abated somewhat. Mettaton practically glowed at the pride, just as endearingly self-centered as ever. "But you... You're not going to try and take my soul or anything?"

Mettaton considered her. "Why, do you want me to?"

Frisk paled noticeably. "No! I mean... no!"

Mettaton laughed. "I'm just teasing, darling." He patted her shoulder as he walked by. "Well, I unfortunately have somewhere I must be. Until next time."

"Bye!" Frisk replied, still confused. If Mettaton had no intention of attacking her, it meant that she had somehow earned the friendship of both him and Alphys. In all her past peaceful resets, Alphys had been the one to ask Mettaton to attack her, so she could be the 'hero' in Frisk's story. For some reason, this time, Alphys didn't feel the need to impress her. But why the change of heart?

The thoughts continued to spiral around Frisk's mind as she lay on the bed in the hotel room she'd rented. She stared at the ceiling, which kept turning red, and then back to white, then red again, flickering with an intensity that made her nauseous.

"Chara, you're making my head hurt," Frisk murmured, closing her eyes and rubbing her temples.

Aw, do you want me to stop? Came the immediate cheerful reply.

"That would be nice," Frisk answered, smiling softly. It was weird, the way they talked like this, all the while battling it out for control in her head.

Maybe if you beg.

Frisk shook her head and rolled over on to her side, not responding.

Are you going to sleep?

"No," Frisk sighed, "Just resting a bit. I know what will happen if I sleep."

Yeah, but if you don't, you'll die. Chara sounded absolutely overjoyed about the fact too, as if she could threaten a girl who'd only recently thrown herself off a cliff with the idea of death.

"There are worse things," Frisk said cheerfully back, stretching and sitting up. She was growing restless- she needed to be moving, doing things. She couldn't stand to be alone with her thoughts. With Chara.

She left her room quietly, wandering the hotel until she found the exit. This wasn't her first night wandering- in fact, it was eerily similar to when she'd done the same thing in Snowdin. Only this time, there'd be no one to gaze at the fake stars with.

That was fine. They were red to her now anyway.

As she made her way through the core, everything had fallen silent, as if monsterkind was holding its breath in anticipation for the end. Soon she would reach Asgore, and then...

And then what?

Frisk couldn't answer that question.

She had begun to lower her guard when she reached the judgment hall, having seen no monsters for a while. She opened the doors, glancing around the room. Gray light was filtering through the windows, and her steps echoed loudly throughout the chamber. Then, with a sinking feeling in her stomach, her gaze locked a figure standing across from her.

His hands were in his pockets, and he casually leaned against a pillar as if he had just happened to be there, but Frisk saw through it easily.

He had been waiting for her.

A savage delight filled Chara, who struggled even more fiercely for control, so much so that it took all of Frisk's concentration and willpower to force her down.

Come on, Frisk. Revenge will be so sweet, Chara reasoned impatiently, Think of all the times he's killed us here.

Nothing more than we deserved, Frisk replied forcefully, then stepped further into the hall. She swallowed hard, suddenly nervous. She hadn't done anything wrong, not in the past reset, but that was the same as absolving a murderer for not killing anyone in the past day. Neither of them could forget the sins she had committed.

Sans grinned, but it was blank- impassive. There was nothing reassuring or condemning in his eyes. Nothing Frisk could latch on to.

"So you finally made it."  

A/N: I'm so so sorry guys, this update took me forever XD. Writer's block and AP exams were teaming up to kill me, but I'm back now. This story isn't over yet, sorry for the confusion! 

Also, wowie guys, we are almost at 12k! Thank you for sticking with me this far despite my agonizingly slow updates, you guys are the real MVPs.

Have a great day/night/whatever time it is wherever you are :)