7- Fury

The longer Frisk stayed, lying on the floor feeling like garbage, the less she wanted to get up. She'd spent the entire day running around waterfall, trying to avoid Undyne. She'd found that unfortunately, being older and taller made her a bigger target, making it harder for her to dodge or to hide. As she lay there, she could feel her bruises acutely, stinging from all the jumping and climbing and dropping she'd had to do. She closed her eyes for a moment, letting herself imagine how nice it would be to just doze off on the wooden floor.

She snapped awake, sitting up so fast it made her head throb in protest, lucidity returning in one awful, heart-stopping rush.

"Oh..." Napstablook said softly, "Are you done...?" Frisk had almost forgotten the ghost was there, and smiled at him gratefully, nodding.

"Well..." he went on, "That was nice... Thank you..."

"Thanks for letting me come over," Frisk replied, "It was fun. You're a good friend." She knew that her words didn't mean much, but it was the least she could give him, before she moved on.

"...Friend?" He seemed to glow from the words, just a little bit, expression lightening. "You are too."

"Thanks," Frisk responded, and found that she meant it. She revelled in these tiny changes she could make. "See you around," she called as she left the house, a small smile on her face.

It faded quickly as she trudged through waterfall, and it was becoming harder and harder to deal with the monsters she came across. They were funny and delightful, and on any other day she could have spent hours enraptured, just talking to them. But she'd gone several nights without sleeping, and her brain was foggy, her reflexes slow.

It's me, Frisk.

The voice was faint and muffled, almost incomprehensible, but Frisk knew what it meant- as well as the tiny urge in the back of her mind to kill. To gain LOVE. It meant that while she was getting weaker, Chara was once again getting stronger.

You're letting your control slip, partner.

A giggle.

How many times do we have to play this game?

"Shut UP!" Frisk yelled out loud, grabbing her head. The action startled a Woshua that had been idly cleaning a rock nearby, and it scuttled away. "I'm not insane," she said in a small voice, more to herself than the monster.

There was that giggle again, just a little louder than before.

A surge of anger boiled inside Frisk, and she made no move to tamp it down. It was better than the fear. Anger would keep her going. It would keep her alive.

"Yo!"

The sudden voice nearly made Frisk jump, and she turned to see who the owner was. It was the monster kid, looking up at her quizzically.

"Are you here looking for Undyne too?" he asked, and Frisk nodded, regaining her composure. "Dude, could you get us an umbrella?"

"Sure," Frisk said, smiling and taking one from the bucket she'd hardly noticed before. They walked together, as they always had, raindrops tapping out a melody on the umbrella. With Frisk being noticeably taller, water that dripped off the side of the umbrella splashed on to the monster kid, who just shook it off, disgruntled.

"Y'know," he offered, "This would have been a lot easier if you were a kid too."

Frisk laughed, because he had no idea how right he was. "Yeah, that's probably true," she replied, and the monster kid grinned back at her.

Strangely enough, he didn't leave, but kept walking with her- and Undyne was nowhere to be found. It wasn't until they reached the bridge that Frisk started to get nervous. The monster kid had fallen uncharacteristically silent, and they were nearing the end of the bridge.

Suddenly, he stopped, and Frisk stopped too, looking at him. Waiting for what she knew was coming.

"Yo..." His eyes were averted ever-so-slightly, and he laughed nervously. "Man, I've never had to ask this before. Are you... a human?"

Frisk sighed, and nodded.

"I guess we're, like, enemies then?" Monster kid asked. When she said nothing, he continued. "Hey, say something mean so I can hate you?"

"I can't," Frisk stated. I don't need words- my past actions were more than enough.

"Aw.. I have to do it then?" He cleared his throat, seemingly searching for words worthy of her hate. "I- I hate your guts!"

"Okay," Frisk answered, and his lip wobbled. The kid couldn't hate anyone if he tried- but he honestly seemed to believe that one little lie would make her hate him. It was naive. Heartbreaking.

"Man, I'm such a turd," he choked out after a long moment, looking torn between laughing and crying, "I'm going home."

He turned away, and a thought occurred to Frisk. "Watch your step!" she called, but it was too vague, and too late. He had tripped already, launching himself off the side of the bridge. He scrambled for a handhold as Frisk lunged forward. She wasn't going to lose him- not anyone, this time.

She managed to help him up in time, and he collapsed on to the bridge. He was crying for real now, frightened and shivering. After all, he was just a kid- he didn't deserve any of this.

"Ssh, it's okay," Frisk murmured, feeling more like a mother than a friend. She stood. "Let's get you back home to Snowdin." As she said it, a cold pit of foreboding settled in her stomach, hairs on the back of her neck standing up.

She looked up just in time to see a blue spear sink into her chest. The monster kid screamed.

"Get away from the kid!" she heard Undyne yell furiously as Frisk staggered backwards, staring blankly at the fish woman.

"I-" Frisk started, then fell to her knees, coughing up blood. When had Undyne gotten there? Why would she attack so viciously this time? This wasn't how she was supposed to die.

Frisk looked up, her eyesight blurring at the edges, fading in and out. She saw Undyne advancing, the monster kid standing to face her.

"She wasn't attacking me!" he yelled, but Undyne merely pushed him aside.

"I would give you my reasons for doing this, but I bet you already know," Undyne growled, grabbing Frisk's hair and forcing her to make eye contact. "It's over. I know the truth, human."

In the back of Frisk's mind, the giggle became a deafening laugh, a cacophony of noise.

I made Flowey tell her about the resets. She was more than happy to be given a good reason to hate the human.

My gift to you.

Frisk could hear another familiar voice. "Undyne! S-stop!" Was that Alphys? Impossible.

Undyne dropped her, and she fell to the ground, face scraping painfully against the cave floor. She stared at the tiny details on the gray stone, nauseated by how they seemed to blur in and out.

This whole world is going to hell, she thought, and then it faded away and she thought nothing at all.

A/N: Yo! Have you noticed that I only bold Chara speaking and the author's notes? That's because I'm Chara.

Kidding, I actually just noticed I did that now. Anywho, just wanted to clarify some things. Firstly, I realized as I was typing this that the monster kid's gender is never specified (just like Frisk) but I always assumed Frisk was a girl and the monster kid was a boy because that's how I perceived them. I've seen many, many arguments over why characters are left gender-neutral but I'm just writing it as I see it, so please don't yell at me about it. Not that anyone has, you guys are amazing and I love you <3

Also, Frisk didn't die, so don't panic.

Anyway, have a wonderful night (day? It's night here so..) and don't be scared to leave feedback (I only bite on Tuesdays).

Much love,

MerryMonster :)