6- Tragicomedy

Sans let go of Frisk's hand as soon as they reached Grillby's, and grinned at her unapologetically as they pushed the door open. Several of the monster patrons said hello to Sans as he walked in, while Frisk fell slightly behind, smiling nervously. She'd always been quiet- not great with crowds, and the guilt that always sat in the back of her mind did nothing to help.

After they ordered, they sat in silence for a few moments. Once it had been a comfortable silence, but now it was laced with tension.

"So, kid," Sans said, breaking the stifling quiet, "Did you have something you wanted to talk to me about or are we just gonna sit here and stare at each other?" Frisk smiled at that.

"Did you..." she started hesitantly, "Did you hear everything I said to Flowey?"

"Yep," Sans replied simply, not offering anything else.

"Then you know about Chara," Frisk said, less of a question and more of a statement. "Look, I know it's not any kind of excuse, but-"

Sans cut her off. "Quit apologizing. It's not going to change anything." When Frisk glanced at him, his eyes were cold, and she knew better than to press the matter.

"Right," she answered, looking down at her lap.

There was a longer period of silence, as Frisk ate her burger and Sans downed a bottle of ketchup.

"Hey Sans," Frisk said out of the blue, "Why couldn't the bicycle stand up?"

He looked at her questioningly. "You tell me."

"It was two tired," Frisk said, trying to hold in her laughter, but she snorted, unable to help herself.

Sans chuckled too, the cheerful look returned to his face. "Good one kid," he said teasingly, "But I bet I can do better."

They stayed there for hours, exchanging puns that got worse as the afternoon wore on, and laughing. Trying to remember how easy it had been once, the first time Frisk had fallen in the Underground.

And trying to forget everything else.

Eventually, night began to fall, and they walked out of Grillby's together. This time it was Sans who extended his hand, and Frisk gladly took it.

"I have something I want to tell you," Frisk said as they walked out, smiling hugely, caught up in the euphoria.

"I'm all ears," Sans responded, glancing at her, then snickered. "Well, not really. I don't have ears. But I'm listening."

"I think-" she started, feeling heat rising to her face, "I really-" She stopped as they opened the door. Night had fallen in the Underground, the only indication being that the roof of the cave had darkened, turning the snow to an eerie purple-grey. "Oh god."

"Kid?" Sans asked, looking curious. Not concerned exactly, just interested.

"Um... never mind..." Frisk trailed off. She could feel the debilitating panic rising in her chest. It was night time. She would have to sleep eventually, and when she did...

"Alright." Sans followed Frisk's gaze, looking out at the snow. "Welp, I'd better get home. Paps needs his bedtime story or he can't go to sleep." He sent her one last grin. "Good luck, kiddo." She almost wanted to stop him, to finish what she'd started to say. But she couldn't.

He walked back towards his house, leaving Frisk standing outside Grillby's in the dark. She felt a spark of anger in her stomach, but it was quenched immediately. Of course he didn't know that she was still vying for control with Chara in her sleep, and even if he did there was no way he could help her.