Chapter 38: Truth

Percy's POV

"Demigods, I know what you've been through, and I know you aren't happy about it. But we're here to explain," Zeus announces.

I look around at everyone else who survived. Their expressions echo my anger.

"Do you?" I interrupt. "Do you know what we went through. No offense, Zeus, but you made us kill our friends and family. I don't think you know what we all had to do just to survive."

Anger flares in his eyes, but he says nothing. Great for him, none of his children died.

"You erased our memories just so we could kill each other. You made us believe we were enemies when we never really were. Demigods died and no one did anything about it." Bella's face fills my mind, both vulnerable and strong. Did she deserve to die? Did any of them?

"Those other demigods we placed in the arena were never truly real," Hera explains, moving to stand next to her husband. "We created them in means to end the games earlier."

"They were real!" I shout. "They were humans, and you made us kill them!"

"It had to be done," she snaps. "They were a piece in the games, pieces that had to be removed by all of you."

"Were we pieces as well?" Someone asks. I turn and see Jason standing next to move. He catches my eye and nods firmly. "You said we had to kill them, which means you were trying to manipulate us."

"We had a deal with Gaea, and she insisted there be 24 demigod tributes. Instead of giving twenty four of our own, we created a few to fill in the gaps. You should be grateful it wasn't you who was killed," Zeus says.

"But we defeated Gaea," Piper protests. "Why did you continue with your deal if she had been put back to sleep?"

"Because we had to, punk. There wasn't a big choice in the matter. This year's games had already been planned, before Gaea fell. We couldn't back out since the spell had already been cast."

"So what happened to the demigods you 'created'? Did they die?" I ask.

"They were never real, so they couldn't die," Zeus says.

"That's not necessarily true," Hades intervenes. "No one can simply create a person out of nothing. They were real humans, we just created images that looked like the humans."

"What he's trying to say is yes, Bella Marquess is a real person, as is Michael Gilman, Taylor Leer, Sarah Clarkston, Mitchell Keely, Ari Sanchez, and Claire Rosenwood. They all exist, but aren't demigods," Athena says.

"I understand your anger, but there's no reason to get so worked up. All that matters is that you're alive, and so are your friends," Zeus takes control again.

I feel someone bump into my shoulder. I turn and see Annabeth standing there, her face washed and hair combed. Her hand finds mine and I squeeze it.

"When do we return home?" I ask. "When do we return to Camp Half-Blood?"

"And Camp Jupiter," Reyna adds quickly.

Zeus smiles at us. "Now."

He waves his hand and my stomach feels like I'm on a roller coaster. The floor drops out from under me and I fall. I cling onto Annabeth's hand.

Then it's over. I'm standing on the sidewalk in the city, the Empire State Building gleaming in the afternoon sunlight. The others are standing with me, a large group of dirty teenagers. Even in New York, it's strange.

"Come on," I motion them over. "Let's find a place to wash up."

"There's a hotel down the street," Piper offers. "I've been there before with, you know, my dad." She squirms uncomfortably.

"Great, your dad is mega-famous. Anywhere he stays is bound to have a five star restaurant," Leo jokes. "I'm famished."

"We all are. Where is it, Pipes?" Jason asks.

Half an hour later, we walk into a beautiful, air-conditioned hotel. The artificial smell of everything fills my nose. After a few days in complete nature, it seems surreal to be standing here. The hotel workers look at us, clearly wondering why a group of dirty teenagers decided to loiter in their expensive lobby. Coming from a poor family, I've never seen a place this fancy, other than Olympus.

"Children, I'm going to need to ask you to leave," the manager says, coming over to shoo us out. Piper, however, straightens up.

"There'll be no need for that. My name is Piper McLean, and I just came from shooting a movie. I plan on following my father's footsteps as an actor. You see, my father is Tristan McLean."

Now it's the managers turn to straighten up. "Of course, my apologies m'am. How many rooms will you be needing?"

"Six should be enough," Piper replies after a quick head count. "And I understand, it must look like we've been sleeping in the woods for a week. Makeup for the movie."

After we've been handed our keys and an exclusive card to the buffet, we head up the elevator. Once inside, Leo whistles appreciatively.

"Beauty Queen, I always knew you were rich, but this is off the charts."

"Shut up, Leo," Piper says, blushing.

"Okay guys, take a quick shower, eat some food, then come to my room to talk things over," I say. "Oh, and choose someone to share a room with."

I feel someone take my hand. Without looking, I can tell that it's Annabeth.

"You're with me, Seaweed Brain."

My throat turns strangely dry. I nod, not trusting myself to speak. The elevator dings, and the doors open up.

"Remember, my room in forty five minutes," I remind the crowd before everyone moves to leave.